Browser starts at the startup

Anonymous
2021-03-12T13:58:04+00:00

I have been getting this problem lately. At startup of OS, the services of a browser starts. At first, it was Chrome. I thought it was chrome at fault, but after uninstalling it, Firefox services started with startup. The whole window of Firefox doesn't start, only the services do.

The browser services aren't even in the startup tab

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-16T01:31:51+00:00

    Alright, I will be doing an in place upgrade then

    Also, can I make a bootable windows 10 flash drive with this tool?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-16T01:38:12+00:00

    Yes, you can make a bootable USB using the Media Creation Tool.

    Please keep me posted.

    Thanks and good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-16T03:58:25+00:00

    I guess have a look in Task Scheduler (type into Search) too. It opens to Task Scheduler Library...

    Image

    But then click "Task Scheduler (local)" in the left pane & see the bundle in Active Tasks...

    Image

    If that fails to find it, try...

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

    Autoruns for Windows v13.98

    That will show what is starting at boot from every possible startup location. If it doesn't show up in there, what we are seeing must be an optical illusion!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-16T08:45:24+00:00

    I thought of task scheduler first, but then is it possible that if one browser is uninstalled, the schedule starts the stuff (for whatever the browser is starting) in another browser?

    Also can this be superfetch being painful?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-16T09:12:10+00:00

    (1) Uninstallers are not always perfectly clean. I guess you are right, though, it wouldn't be dirty enough to leave a major item in Task Scheduler. But check out what Autoruns has to show. Stuff could have been left in the Registry, even just a stray .dll, that could start something up.

    (2) I never thought of Superfetch (now called Sysmain)...

    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-superfetch/

    What Is Superfetch (SysMain) on Windows 10? And How to Disable It

    I see what you mean. It might preload something based on past usage. But that too should have trouble after a thing has been uninstalled. Still, looks easy enough to disable temporarily for testing purposes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments