Browser starts at the startup

Anonymous
2021-03-12T13:58:04+00:00

I have been getting this problem lately. At startup of OS, the services of a browser starts. At first, it was Chrome. I thought it was chrome at fault, but after uninstalling it, Firefox services started with startup. The whole window of Firefox doesn't start, only the services do.

The browser services aren't even in the startup tab

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-22T05:49:52+00:00

    Can you spot it in Autoruns? I still say, it has to be in Autoruns or it isn't a startup issue. Chrome must do it after the boot, then, after you click it to run. After you close Chrome, the stuff sticks around a bit to be there just in case you open Chrome again. It likely would unload as soon as the RAM is needed by something else.

    Or, maybe you're right that prefetch is at fault. That article I found says how to temporarily turn it off to see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-22T04:31:23+00:00

    I don't think it is at fault. I just reinstalled chrome, and now again chrome is doing the same thing ;-;

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-22T01:03:30+00:00

    OK. Here's a good article on default-browser-agent.exe...

    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-firefox-default-browser-agent

    What is Firefox Default Browser Agent in Windows 10?

    Sounds like there's a setting within Firefox, itself, to turn that off. But afterward you might still have to uncheck (to disable) or to delete that entry using Autoruns.

    So, that's that. Keep at it, & good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-21T10:33:41+00:00

    Nope. It starts up always whether it is a normal shutdown or a reboot. and yes it is the task manager one

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-20T04:50:23+00:00

    You're concerned over those Firefox.exe entries showing in Task Manager at the Details tab...?...

    Image

    (1) Is that right after a reboot? (The equivalent of a reboot is click Power, then Shift+Shutdown. The next time you turn on your computer, you will have rebooted.) If it wasn't a reboot (just a regular Shutdown), then it was a hybrid that stores the session onto the HDD. It would be reloaded at boot with those Firefox.exe's still loaded.

    (2) Did you search for Firefox.exe in Autoruns? Put it into the search box. Widen the columns using the divider lines in the Header to spot it, if found.

    I'm thinking, if you don't find it in Autoruns, then you are seeing it in Task Manager because of the hybrid Shutdown. You must have run Firefox which loaded them, then did a hybrid Shutdown instead of a Restart.

    And I spotted this in one of your pictures...

    Widen that column so we can see what is loading.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments