Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10?

Anonymous
2020-07-29T20:46:34+00:00

Please help me with the microphone mute on/off button on headset not working --> I cannot mute my voice.

Here's the good news:

  1. On Windows the Headset and Microphone audio is clear via Bluetooth. I can hear them, they can hear me.

2. Microphone/audio with Android phone tested good -- microphone mute on/off button works -- I can mute my voice with single press of the button if paired with the Android phone.  It doesn't matter what app I use.  I get an audio prompt through the headset of mute on/mute off.

Here's the problem: the mute button on this Bluetooth Headset microphone doesn't work on Windows 10, so if I walk away from the laptop and need to mute/unmute, I have to run back to my laptop to use my mouse. 

I called Taotronics technical support -- they said if the latest drivers are installed there's nothing more they can offer to help.

Windows indicates the best drivers are installed, but they are either outdated, Windows 10 does not support all the capability, or I need to do something.

Here's what I have:

Hardware:                 HP ProBook

                                 Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)

                                 Headset TaoTronics TT-BH041 

Operating System:   Windows 10, version 1909

Headset Device Drivers:

   TaoTronics TT-BH041                                           - Driver 10.0.17134.1067   Driver Date: 6/21/2006

   TaoTronics TT-BH041 Avcrp Transport Adapter  - Driver 10.0.17134.1         Driver Date: 4/10/2018

   Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)                              - Driver 21.70.0.3               Driver Date: 12/30/2019

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T00:30:49+00:00

    hi EF. II'm Greg, an installation specialist, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, and Volunteer Moderator, here to help you.

    I will give you all possible Microphone fixes to try in sequence. Even if you've already tried one I'd do it in this order as one step may affect the next.

    Please run the Recording Sound troubleshooter at Start button > Settings>Update & Security>Troubleshoot.

    Try these fixes next:

    https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/12487-microphon... (avoid ad links)

    https://www.windowscentral.com/setting-your-hea...

    https://www.howtogeek.com/395296/fix-my-microph...

    http://maxedtech.com/fix-microphone-not-working...

    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-microphone-pr...

    https://windowsreport.com/internal-microphone-s...

    Some report that what worked is turning off Fast Startup at Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Choose what Power buttons do > Change Settings Currently Unavailable > uncheck the box for Fast Startup, Save Settings. Restart and then disable Hibernate file to clear it, restart PC again and enable Hibernate again: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-hiberna...

    Right click the volume icon in System Tray at right end of task bar, open Sound Settings, then Choose Your Input Devices, see if the microphone is listed, set it as Default device.

    Type Microphone in Start Search, open Set up Microphone, scroll down to Microphone and choose Get started to set it up.

    Also reset the prompt to ask for which device was plugged in here:

    https://windowsreport.com/you-just-plugged-unpl...

    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/En...

    https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/How-g...

    Try updating and reinstalling the Microphone driver in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu, then Device Manager, then Audio Input and Output devices, then Microphone . Choose Microphone then Driver tab, then Update > Automatically. If no newer try Driver tab > Update > Browse > Let Me Pick to try all previously installed drivers. If that fails try Driver tab > Uninstall, restart PC to reinstall driver.

    Update the Sound drivers from the PC or motherboard maker's Support Downloads web page. While there make sure you also have the latest Chipset, Display, Network, USB and all other drivers, comparing with the version presently installed in Device Manager.

    If no newer driver then uninstall the ones presently installed in Device Manager, reached by right clicking the Start Button. Restart PC to reinstall.

    When did this behavior begin? If you have an idea you might be able to System Restore back to a point before it began: http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-t...

    It's possible this was caused by a Windows Update so if nothing above works, go to Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update, check the Installed Updates list for Updates that might have been just installed, try uninstalling them using the Uninstall button present there. Then hide the Updates using the Hide Updates tool downloaded from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f2...

    If this was caused by a Version update (which you can confirm at Settings > System > About) then for ten days you can roll back Version in Settings>Update & Security>Recovery and hide it until it matures using the Hide Updates Tool downloaded from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f2...

    If there are other performance problems then go over this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Start with Step 4 to turn off Startup freeloaders which can conflict and cause issues, then Step 7 to check for infection the most thorough way, then step 10 to check for damaged System Files, and also Step 16 to test a new Local Admin account. Then continue with the other steps to go over your install most thoroughly.

    Others are fixing USB mic and headset issues with Step 16 to test a new Local Admin account, because the account is corrupted and this is the only fix.

    If nothing else helps then run a Repair Install by installing the Media Creation Tool and choosing from it to Upgrade Now. This solves many problems and will also bring it up to the latest version which you need anyway and by the most stable method. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you'll wait to rate whether my post resolved your problem, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T13:21:12+00:00

    Greg, first let me say thank you for the comprehensive post!  I have started on the list. The troubleshooter for the audio was differently worded but I think I understood what you wanted me to try.  Bottom line this step didn't fix it, but I wanted you to know I am working on it

     "Recording Sound troubleshooter at Start button > Settings>Update & Security>Troubleshoot."

    For me was:

    Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>Hardware and Sound

    Then I clicked

    Recording Audio

     The troubleshooter saw Audio device isn't set as defaultas an issue

    So I applied the fix:

    I tested the headset and the microphone button still doesn't respond.  On to step 2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T16:36:05+00:00

    Hi again -

    I just checked at Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot and then Recording Audio troubleshooter is still there, just scroll down a bit.

    Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T17:04:39+00:00

    Thanks Greg, I found the path as you described -- it looked like I got to the same place a different way, but just in case I ran the troubleshooter and the detailed results reflecting no issues are below. I've surfed to the second link in the list, and it looks like the steps include updating/re-installing drivers -- there aren't any new drivers.   Some additional background,  I didn't mention earlier -- the headset is new and the laptop is also new with the latest updates applied -- audio over Bluetooth was just installed and I can hear and talk.  So rolling back to earlier versions won't apply here since it never worked before.    The mute button is the challenge.   Based on the website info and that the drivers are fresh and up to date-- should I go through a driver uninstall/reinstall process again? 

    Potential issues that were checked
    Audio<br> enhancements didn't load<br><br><br><br>Audio enhancements didn't load Issue not present
    One<br> or more audio service isn't running<br><br><br><br>One or more audio service isn't running<br><br><br><br>Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. Atleast one of<br> these services isn't running. Issue not present
    Audio<br> services not responding<br><br><br><br>Audio services not responding Issue not present
    Audio<br> device is disabled<br><br><br><br>Audio device is disabled<br><br><br><br>The audio device you selected is currently turned off in Windows. Issue not present
    Audio<br> device muted<br><br><br><br>Audio device muted<br><br><br><br>Audio can't play if the device is muted. Issue not present
    Audio<br> device isn't set as default<br><br><br><br>Audio device isn't set as default<br><br><br><br>The default audio device is usually used to play or record sounds on your computer. Issue not present
    Audio<br> format not set to default<br><br><br><br>Audio format not set to default Issue not present
    The<br> microphone or headset is unplugged<br><br><br><br>The microphone or headset is unplugged<br><br><br><br>An audio device must be plugged in to play or record sound. Issue not present
    Potential issues that were checked <br>Detection<br> details
    Audio enhancements didn't load Issue not present <br> --- --- --- ---
    One or more audio service isn't running Issue not present <br> --- --- --- ---
    Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. Atleast one of<br> these services isn't running.
    Audio services not responding Issue not present <br> --- --- --- ---
    6 Audio device is disabled Issue not present <br> --- --- --- ---
    The audio device you selected is currently turned off in Windows.
    Device state <br> --- <br> State information about the audio device. <br> State: Enabled <br> --- --- <br> Status code: 1 <br> Help link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363230(VS.85).aspx
    Audio device muted Issue not present <br> --- --- --- ---
    Audio can't play if the device is muted.
    Audio device isn't set as default Issue not present <br> --- --- --- ---
    The default audio device is usually used to play or record sounds on your computer.
    Audio format not set to default Issue not present <br> --- --- --- ---
    The microphone or headset is unplugged Issue not present <br> --- --- --- ---
    An audio device must be plugged in to play or record sound.
    Detection details <br>
    Audio endpoint
    Type of audio device being diagnosed.
    Endpoint: Capture <br> --- ---
    Installed audio devices
    This file contains the details stored in the registry for all installed audio devices.
    File Name: Registry log.txt <br> --- ---
    Collection information
    Computer Name: {masked value for posting online]
    Windows Version: 10.0
    Architecture: x64
    Time: Thursday, July 30, 2020 12:49:26 PM
    Publisher details <br>
    Sound
    Troubleshoot problems that prevent your computer from playing or recording sound.
    Package Version: 4.5
    Publisher: Microsoft Windows
    Recording Audio
    Find and fix problems with recording sound.
    Package Version: 4.5
    Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
    Hardware and Devices
    Find and fix problems with devices and hardware.
    Package Version: 4.1
    Publisher: Microsoft Windows

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T17:16:01+00:00

    You can type Services.msc in Search box, open Services panel as Admin. Check that the Services listed are running.

    Be sure to renew the prompt which asks What Device was just plugged in, as this can be the key.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments