Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10?

Anonymous
2020-07-29T20:46:34+00:00

Please help me with the microphone mute on/off button on headset not working --> I cannot mute my voice.

Here's the good news:

  1. On Windows the Headset and Microphone audio is clear via Bluetooth. I can hear them, they can hear me.

2. Microphone/audio with Android phone tested good -- microphone mute on/off button works -- I can mute my voice with single press of the button if paired with the Android phone.  It doesn't matter what app I use.  I get an audio prompt through the headset of mute on/mute off.

Here's the problem: the mute button on this Bluetooth Headset microphone doesn't work on Windows 10, so if I walk away from the laptop and need to mute/unmute, I have to run back to my laptop to use my mouse. 

I called Taotronics technical support -- they said if the latest drivers are installed there's nothing more they can offer to help.

Windows indicates the best drivers are installed, but they are either outdated, Windows 10 does not support all the capability, or I need to do something.

Here's what I have:

Hardware:                 HP ProBook

                                 Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)

                                 Headset TaoTronics TT-BH041 

Operating System:   Windows 10, version 1909

Headset Device Drivers:

   TaoTronics TT-BH041                                           - Driver 10.0.17134.1067   Driver Date: 6/21/2006

   TaoTronics TT-BH041 Avcrp Transport Adapter  - Driver 10.0.17134.1         Driver Date: 4/10/2018

   Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)                              - Driver 21.70.0.3               Driver Date: 12/30/2019

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-01T05:41:27+00:00

    Hi Vincent, this is about the most promising reply I've seen regarding this issue in various places.

    Did you manage to get this info. from Microsoft themselves?

    What Bluetooth USB adapter could allow functions like the mic mute button to work?

    How to know if they support it? I am worried spending a few bucks and still I'll end up with the same problem. 

    Is Microsoft not going to update their drivers to enable such functions like mic muting ?

    StanZV

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-31T19:58:35+00:00

    I would ask TaoTronics Support as they would have that answer, and if it's possible how to achieve it in Windows 10. It may be a limitation of Bluetooth as you suspect, or it may be a limitation of the microphone. But either ways I think it's hardware-specific.

    I think they're approachable because they give phone numbers, a good sign:

    https://www.taotronics.com/pages/contact-us

    Manuals and other Support downloads here:

    https://www.taotronics.com/pages/support

    Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-31T03:17:06+00:00

    How is it working now?

    Same as before  -- the microphone button doesn't work while the headset and sound via the microphone are flowing as before -- my apologies -- I should have mentioned this in my earlier post.  Just for fun I also rebooted and tested again to be sure all the refreshes of device drivers/hardware scan and services start steps were fully applied.  I confirmed the Windows Audio services are automatically started.

    I additionally have tried adding the privacy settings and sound settings as shown below with the same results. 

    I'm wondering how does pushing the mic hardware mute button get transferred to Windows 10 via Bluetooth?   There's not an overall "mute" microphone capability in any of the screens so far.   For example, I can mute audio (headphones/speaker output) from the task bar sound icon, but mute microphone might be app specific? -- see bottom screenshot.  I cannot see a mute capability until after I launch each app/ join meeting.

    Here is what the audio settings show

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T22:16:05+00:00

    How is it working now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T17:16:01+00:00

    You can type Services.msc in Search box, open Services panel as Admin. Check that the Services listed are running.

    Be sure to renew the prompt which asks What Device was just plugged in, as this can be the key.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments