Browsers wont work on my PC

Anonymous
2020-06-29T15:40:27+00:00

A short while ago I bought a PC [It's a custom PC made for gaming] from a good buddy of mine so I could have one of my own. After setting everything up and sending me on my way, I tried to get a new internet browser for it so I could comfortably do the things I want. I've run into issues with every browser I've downloaded, and neither he or I have been able to solve the issue.

What typically happens is when I click on a browser to launch it [Google Chrome, Opera GX, or Firefox] it will attempt to launch the browser in question, then a tab will pop up and immediately disappear again, seemingly either shutting itself down for some reason, or the browser hiding itself in my background functions, the tab inaccessible. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer will work just fine on my computer despite all this. Any and all assistance would be appreciated greatly.

-Blake

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-30T01:50:54+00:00

I dont see any suspect startup processes or running processes as a potential cause ... with one exception. I see a process running called wpcmon.exe. This is otherwise known as the Family Safety Monitor. It has a feature that controls Internet browsing and may have been configured in a way that is preventing the browser from launching. Try killing that process from Task Manager (would likely require administrative privileges) and see if the browser launches.

Incidentally, I can see processes running for microsoftedgecp.exe, which is the legacy version of the Microsoft Edge browser, so currently you should download the latest Edge Chromium browser and install it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/450109...

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T17:18:54+00:00

    I'm sorry for the confusion, what I mean is which edition are you running, to see that

    Select the Start button > Settings > System > About . on the right pane, scroll down and under the "Windows Specification", what is the edition?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T17:28:05+00:00

    It say Windows 10 Home

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T17:35:34+00:00

    Please do try the following:

    1. In the search tab type Troubleshooting and hit enter.
    2. Select System and security.
    3. Click Windows update troubleshooter and follow the onscreen instructions.

    if that didn't work, try this

    Press Windows key > Settings > Network & Internet > Proxy = *make sure to turn off proxy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T17:51:06+00:00

    So I tried the troubleshooter and It didn't really do anything. It said there were no issues detected and wouldn't do anything further.

    As for proxies, I had none set and made sure that everything was off, which it currently is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments