Browsers wont work on my PC

Anonymous
2020-06-29T15:40:27+00:00

A short while ago I bought a PC [It's a custom PC made for gaming] from a good buddy of mine so I could have one of my own. After setting everything up and sending me on my way, I tried to get a new internet browser for it so I could comfortably do the things I want. I've run into issues with every browser I've downloaded, and neither he or I have been able to solve the issue.

What typically happens is when I click on a browser to launch it [Google Chrome, Opera GX, or Firefox] it will attempt to launch the browser in question, then a tab will pop up and immediately disappear again, seemingly either shutting itself down for some reason, or the browser hiding itself in my background functions, the tab inaccessible. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer will work just fine on my computer despite all this. Any and all assistance would be appreciated greatly.

-Blake

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-30T01:50:54+00:00

I dont see any suspect startup processes or running processes as a potential cause ... with one exception. I see a process running called wpcmon.exe. This is otherwise known as the Family Safety Monitor. It has a feature that controls Internet browsing and may have been configured in a way that is preventing the browser from launching. Try killing that process from Task Manager (would likely require administrative privileges) and see if the browser launches.

Incidentally, I can see processes running for microsoftedgecp.exe, which is the legacy version of the Microsoft Edge browser, so currently you should download the latest Edge Chromium browser and install it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/450109...

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-30T03:12:28+00:00

    Huzzah! After digging around in some odd menus and internet pages, I have successfully managed to disable to Family Safety settings, which appears to have solved my issue! I took me a good bit to figure out exactly how to disable it, but I've managed! So far [~10 minutes, and using Opera GX to type this up] it works like a charm sir! I thank you greatly for all your help today! Couldn't have done it without you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-30T03:04:11+00:00

    Ideally, if you can, you want to run Task Manager as administrator > go to Startup > and look for a service related to Family Safety Monitor and disable it.

    Alternatively, locate the process in the Task Manager > right-click it and select Go to service(s) to see which service it maps to and then disable it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-30T02:42:42+00:00

    Oh I mustve killed the wrong command. My personal account doesnt have administrative control oover the pc, but I have access to the one that does and have just been giving myself all permissions. Let me try and find the right command thing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-30T02:35:38+00:00

    wpcmon.exe is still running. Do you have administrative control over this PC?

    You would also need access to the Microsoft account managing this PC. See this link for details on how Family Safety Monitor works: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/setup-family-s...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments