Browsers wont work on my PC

Anonymous
2020-06-29T15:40:27+00:00

A short while ago I bought a PC [It's a custom PC made for gaming] from a good buddy of mine so I could have one of my own. After setting everything up and sending me on my way, I tried to get a new internet browser for it so I could comfortably do the things I want. I've run into issues with every browser I've downloaded, and neither he or I have been able to solve the issue.

What typically happens is when I click on a browser to launch it [Google Chrome, Opera GX, or Firefox] it will attempt to launch the browser in question, then a tab will pop up and immediately disappear again, seemingly either shutting itself down for some reason, or the browser hiding itself in my background functions, the tab inaccessible. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer will work just fine on my computer despite all this. Any and all assistance would be appreciated greatly.

-Blake

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-30T01:50:54+00:00

I dont see any suspect startup processes or running processes as a potential cause ... with one exception. I see a process running called wpcmon.exe. This is otherwise known as the Family Safety Monitor. It has a feature that controls Internet browsing and may have been configured in a way that is preventing the browser from launching. Try killing that process from Task Manager (would likely require administrative privileges) and see if the browser launches.

Incidentally, I can see processes running for microsoftedgecp.exe, which is the legacy version of the Microsoft Edge browser, so currently you should download the latest Edge Chromium browser and install it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/450109...

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T21:49:43+00:00

    You can upload it to OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, or any other file share service. Afterwards, make the file shareable and post the link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T21:36:29+00:00

    Hey William. Thanks for replying. I've made the file as you've requested, but it says the file type in unable to attach here. Is there some other way you'd like me to send it to you?

    As for the crash dumps, I've noticed the guide is for Windows 7/Vista. Obviously some things are different than the guide youve provided, but I cant seem to find the folder you specified therein. Any extra assistance is appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T21:05:18+00:00

    Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is William. I'm a Windows technical expert. I'll be happy to help you out today.

    To start, confirm that no processes for the respective browsers are, in fact, running in the background. You can use Task Manager > Details and sort through the list of processes, chrome.exe, msedge.exe, iexplorer.exe, and firefox.exe.

    Assuming they are not, then its fair to say that they are either crashing or a 3rd party process hook is injecting and killing the respective processes once they launch.

    Launch the Windows Event Viewer > go to Windows Logs > Applications > right-click Save all events as > save and post the etvx file you created. I can examine it for clues. Alternatively, you can parse through the logs, looking for error entries related to the respective browser process as it may indicate what component is causing it to close.

    Additionally, assuming the processes are crashing, we want to gather crash dumps for the browsers. To do that, you need to enable user-mode dumps. I have a guide posted here: https://windowsexplored.com/2010/08/11/enable-p...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T20:27:26+00:00

    You are most welcome Blake, And again I'm sorry if I wasn't able to fix the issue, alright, I will open the question now and I really hope that this will be fixed soon. Please stay safe

    Kind regards,

    Jeremy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments