Browsers wont work on my PC

Anonymous
2020-06-29T15:40:27+00:00

A short while ago I bought a PC [It's a custom PC made for gaming] from a good buddy of mine so I could have one of my own. After setting everything up and sending me on my way, I tried to get a new internet browser for it so I could comfortably do the things I want. I've run into issues with every browser I've downloaded, and neither he or I have been able to solve the issue.

What typically happens is when I click on a browser to launch it [Google Chrome, Opera GX, or Firefox] it will attempt to launch the browser in question, then a tab will pop up and immediately disappear again, seemingly either shutting itself down for some reason, or the browser hiding itself in my background functions, the tab inaccessible. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer will work just fine on my computer despite all this. Any and all assistance would be appreciated greatly.

-Blake

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-30T01:50:54+00:00

I dont see any suspect startup processes or running processes as a potential cause ... with one exception. I see a process running called wpcmon.exe. This is otherwise known as the Family Safety Monitor. It has a feature that controls Internet browsing and may have been configured in a way that is preventing the browser from launching. Try killing that process from Task Manager (would likely require administrative privileges) and see if the browser launches.

Incidentally, I can see processes running for microsoftedgecp.exe, which is the legacy version of the Microsoft Edge browser, so currently you should download the latest Edge Chromium browser and install it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/450109...

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T19:28:08+00:00

    Well, after resetting the computer and deleting everything, I redownloaded both Opera GX and Google Chrome separately and they still will not launch properly. As I type this up I'm going to try Firefox as well, just as another attempt to see if anything changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T18:53:57+00:00

    I know this is a real inconvenience for you Blake, please give it a try and let me know if this will fix the problem. Really sorry about this Blake

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T18:51:52+00:00

    Well that's a bummer, but I hope this will fix the issue. Ill give it a shot, and I want to thank you for trying to help me today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T18:43:24+00:00

    Hi Blake, I'm really sorry if I'm running out of options here, I'm afraid that this is a faulty installation of Windows, however, since as you have said that it is new, you may proceed on repairing it first while you still don't have a lot of programs or files in your PC

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17085/...

    it says Windows 8 but the guide is applicable as well with Windows 10

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments