Yeah at this point it seems like it's a botched update from Microsoft and nothing related to users.
KB4568831 not installing
I am presently at version 20H2 OS build 19042.388. KB4568831 is failling to install, it just loops from installing to downloading back to downloading. The following is logger in event viewer
Error Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200D: 2020-07 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4568831).
I have ran SFC and DISM with no errors. Deleted files in c:windows\softwaredistribution\downloads with no help. Any ideas
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2020-08-04T16:20:23+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-08-04T16:41:14+00:00 As it appears to be an insider update I would post problems in the dedicated Insider Preview forum.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp
Some updates for previews can cause errors this is part of the testing program. Have a read through the forum to see if any other posts offer a resolution.
-
Anonymous
2020-08-04T16:54:35+00:00 I had exactly the same problem, tried every possible solution that has been suggested, northing appeared to work. I have two desktop PCs and a laptop. The laptop installed the update without any problem as did one of the desktop PCs, leaving one PC that just would not install the update.
However......it appears that at least part of the update DID install as when I compare the 'Start' and 'Action Centre' screens on the three computers they are now all the new start and Action Centre design!
There is no trace of the update in the update history apart from an entry that says 'install failed', but it certainly seems as though some part of the update has installed.
-
Anonymous
2020-08-04T16:58:04+00:00 Actually it's NOT an insider update. It was originally but on July 31st it was rolled out to everyone. It still has the same problem though!
-
Anonymous
2020-08-04T17:13:13+00:00 The KB number is listed as a preview so perhaps it shouldn't have been released to the public builds. The version for a public build should be 2004 and not 20H2.
If that is the case there's nothing we can do until Microsoft sort the server end.
I received KB4568831 on my insider build but not on my public build. It states the update is for 20H2 and not 2004. I realise it will be released after the Enablement package and should be listed in Program and Features (via uninstall an update) that can be uninstalled if necessary.
My public release is version 2004 build 19041.388 and the Insider version 20H2 build 19042.423.