KB4568831 not installing

Anonymous
2020-07-25T16:12:09+00:00

I am presently at version 20H2 OS build 19042.388.   KB4568831  is failling to install, it just loops from installing to downloading back to downloading. The following is logger in event viewer

Error Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200D: 2020-07 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4568831).

I have ran SFC and DISM with no errors. Deleted files in c:windows\softwaredistribution\downloads with no help.  Any ideas

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-01T09:38:32+00:00

    which components? Mind explaining how?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-01T22:23:22+00:00

    I typed ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old and error "Access denied"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-01T23:04:16+00:00

    This update was released to the public on July 31st as an optional "Preview" update.  A .Net "Preview" update installed with it..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-02T02:31:47+00:00

    Hi Jocelyn, I had exactly the same problem with this update looping between downloading and installing.

    Turning off Norton360 made no difference.

    I tried the Windows Update trouble-shooter with no result. It just said it couldn't identify the problem.

    I tried to manually reset Windows Update, that wouldn't work at all, as it refused access to the rename the SoftwareDistribution folder entry. Just kept saying 'Access Denied' even though I was running the command prompt as an administrator.

    After many. many tries I gave up! Restarted the PC and a very strange thing happened! When the PC restarted it came up with the 'Configuring windows updates' message. However, on checking the update history, nothing had actually been installed. Now every time I restart the PC it says it is 'Configuring windows updates' without installing anything. It's all very weird.

    Go to windows>software distributions>and delete all the folders and files inside it. if some files are hidded then unhide them and delete them also. restart your device and it will be working normally

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-02T20:51:10+00:00

    Same here and nothing fixes it.

    Have used Macrium Reflect to go back three times now and no matter what i do still loops.

    Will go back a fourth time and not bother for now.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments