KB4568831 not installing

Anonymous
2020-07-25T16:12:09+00:00

I am presently at version 20H2 OS build 19042.388.   KB4568831  is failling to install, it just loops from installing to downloading back to downloading. The following is logger in event viewer

Error Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200D: 2020-07 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4568831).

I have ran SFC and DISM with no errors. Deleted files in c:windows\softwaredistribution\downloads with no help.  Any ideas

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-04T19:09:12+00:00

    Only CU's that are released to public are shown in Update catalog and Update history pages.

    Situation is now same as it was with version 1903 and previews of 1909: Those get same CU's and even

    today those versions share same CU's.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-04T18:47:51+00:00

    Okay. Well based on the comments I don't think I'll bother yet. I don't understand why Microsoft would change the version number format from 2009 to 20H2 for the public release. I get why the insider preview is 20H2 but not the public release as others are reporting.

    I have to say the optional update was well hidden and if not for this forum, which most users will not visit the optional update will go un-noticed for quite some time.

    I think what was throwing me was the change in version format and the fact the catalog showed preview, which the optional update also does.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-04T17:48:11+00:00

    This KB is same for v2004 and 20H2.

    It bring v2004 to build 19041.423 is released to public at 31st of July as on Optional Updates.

    Check for updates, click View optional updates and click ">" to see it.

    See Windows Update History for v2004.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4568831

    It's also available in Windows Update Catalog.

    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4568831

    Quote from release announcement:

    Hello Windows Insiders, today we’re releasing 20H2 Build 19042.423 (KB4568831) to Windows Insiders in the Beta Channel. This release is a re-release of 20H2 19042.421 from last week but brings it to parity with the Windows 10 May 2020 (20H1) servicing as of today.

    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/07/31/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-19042-423-20h2/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-04T17:13:13+00:00

    The KB number is listed as a preview so perhaps it shouldn't have been released to the public builds. The version for a public build should be 2004 and not 20H2.

    If that is the case there's nothing we can do until Microsoft sort the server end.

    I received KB4568831 on my insider build but not on my public build. It states the update is for 20H2 and not 2004. I realise it will be released after the Enablement package and should be listed in Program and Features (via uninstall an update) that can be uninstalled if necessary.

    My public release is version 2004 build 19041.388 and the Insider version 20H2 build 19042.423.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-04T16:58:04+00:00

    Actually it's NOT an insider update. It was originally but on July 31st it was rolled out to everyone. It still has the same  problem though!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments