KB4568831 not installing

Anonymous
2020-07-25T16:12:09+00:00

I am presently at version 20H2 OS build 19042.388.   KB4568831  is failling to install, it just loops from installing to downloading back to downloading. The following is logger in event viewer

Error Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200D: 2020-07 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4568831).

I have ran SFC and DISM with no errors. Deleted files in c:windows\softwaredistribution\downloads with no help.  Any ideas

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-01T09:29:58+00:00

    manual resetting the components using command prompt

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-01T05:11:50+00:00

    I am presently at version 20H2 OS build 19042.388.   KB4568831  is failling to install, it just loops from installing to downloading back to downloading. The following is logger in event viewer

    Error Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200D: 2020-07 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4568831).

    I have ran SFC and DISM with no errors. Deleted files in c:windows\softwaredistribution\downloads with no help.  Any ideas

    My name is Don and I had a little trouble with this update. After I installed KB4562899 today and restarted my computer to finish installing it I went back to Settings and ran a update check again  and got a little message in italics to see optional updates. I clicked on that and saw KB4568831. I tried to install that update three times by clicking on the box to put a check mark and then clicking install. What it would do is go back to the page in settings and automatically check for updates. Like I said it did this three times and never installed. I looked in my event log for any error messages that it failed and did not see anything. I then restarted my computer and after my restart I went back to Settings to check if it was there and try it again  and low and behold it was sitting there waiting to be installed like a regular update. I clicked on it and it downloaded and installed on my machine with no problems. I restarted it as it called for a restart and had no problems there. I thought it just weird and out of the ordinary  for all that to happen. I ran update troubleshooter and sfc and all three dism's to just check and nothing was found on either one. Event logs are clean. Something is definitely strange about that update.  Good luck.

    Cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-28T06:18:28+00:00

    Hi Don,

    20H2 is insider's build.

    there is dedicated insider's forum - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/for...

    This forum is for regular builds discussing, sorry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-27T11:30:34+00:00

    Which method did you use that resolved the issue? Have tried them all and none have worked for me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-27T10:52:23+00:00

    Hi Jocelyn, I had exactly the same problem with this update looping between downloading and installing.

    Turning off Norton360 made no difference.

    I tried the Windows Update trouble-shooter with no result. It just said it couldn't identify the problem.

    I tried to manually reset Windows Update, that wouldn't work at all, as it refused access to the rename the SoftwareDistribution folder entry. Just kept saying 'Access Denied' even though I was running the command prompt as an administrator.

    After many. many tries I gave up! Restarted the PC and a very strange thing happened! When the PC restarted it came up with the 'Configuring windows updates' message. However, on checking the update history, nothing had actually been installed. Now every time I restart the PC it says it is 'Configuring windows updates' without installing anything. It's all very weird.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments