Windows 10 feature update with old Nvidia display adapters, solution to black screen hangs

Anonymous
2020-06-01T14:28:46+00:00

Microsoft is delaying Windows 10 2004 on computers that have old Nvidia display adapters.  This is a step in the right direction.

In fact it is possible to run Windows 10 on computers that have some old Nvidia display adapters, but it takes some effort.  I have some Dell Precision M6500 workstations with Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M and FX 2800 M controllers (sometimes designated NB10E).  Driver 342.01 can be downloaded from Nvidia's web site.  It takes some effort to make the driver stable, which I will discuss below.  Dell's web site provides 189.21 for Windows 7, designated as ISV certified, whose meaning I don't know but it was more stable than versions that came later, except that it occasionally caused BSODs and it had security holes.  Nvidia continued developing the Quadro driver for several years but didn't do enough testing.  Dell doesn't care, why should Dell care about peons who buy such cheap low class throwaway PCs?

Anyway, these models of Nvidia display adapters had a feature built into their hardware called PowerMizer.  When the PC is idle, the chip operated min minimum performance, maximum stability, low power mode.  When demands became more active, the chip switched to medium power or high power mode, but the chip couldn't handle the transition, so the screen turned black.  Dell's forums and some other sites have lots of discussions of M6500 screens turning black under heavy load.  To add to this, the driver couldn't handle the hardware crash.  Instead of resetting the display adapter like Microsoft learned to do in Windows 7, Nvidia's drivers crash the rest of Windows.  The keyboard and mouse become non-responsive, though you can see the hard drive lamp continue flashing for a while until some part of Windows settles down.

Very old Nvidia drivers (older than the ones we're discussing here) provided a GUI control panel where users could manage PowerMizer options to try to improve stability.  Nvidia stopped offering PowerMizer Manager a long time ago.

A third party stepped in and provided a downloadable PowerMizer Manager tool.  They recommend that users set PowerMizer to medium performance so the chip will never try to switch power levels, and disable detection of overheating.  I'm sure these settings stabilize the chip and driver and Windows, but I'm more cautious.  I use PowerMizer Manager to set PowerMizer to minimum performance and I do not disable detection of overheating.  When I install Nvidia's driver 342.01 and use PowerMizer Manager this way, my computers do not suffer black screen hangs.

Now about Windows 10.  Some feature updates of Windows 10 preserve the registry settings that were added by PowerMizer Manager.  However, some feature updates delete the registry settings.  After deleting the registry settings, when the Windows 10 feature update installer reboots the PC, you get the black screen hang at the time when Windows tried to display its message about do not turn off your PC.

Therefore one more step is needed.

When starting the feature update, of course you want your PC plugged in as well as having the battery fully charged.  But after the reboot, when Windows is about to let you log in, pull the plug.  When running on battery, the Nvidia chip will refrain from trying to switch to high power mode.  If your battery is still good enough, it will let you reach the point of logging in and running PowerMizer Manager to set the necessary registry entries again, and reboot.  At that point you can plug your PC in again.

So, there is a way that Nvidia or Dell could stabilize the Quadro FX 3800M and FX 2800 M chips enough to solve the black screen problem, at the cost of lower performance which we have to do anyway to avoid the problem.  But again, why would Nvidia or Dell care?

Now, surprise of surprises, Microsoft says they're working on the problem.  After several rounds of Windows 10 feature updates reinstaing the problem (though some feature updates didn't reinstate the problem because they preserved the necessary registry entries), now Microsoft says they care.  So, it would be possible for Microsoft to preserve the registry entries that are set by PowerMizer Manager.  It would even be possible for Microsoft's Windows 10 feature update installer to create those entries all on its own, to improve Windows 10 reliability on computer that have Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M and FX 2800 M controllers.  I don't know if they'll really care, but it's interesting to see an announcement saying they care.

Meanwhile, this posting tried to explain how we can deal with it ourselves.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-08T12:39:40+00:00

    Update

    I'm still on 2004 as far as I know, and took a cue from you Norm based on the fact you mentioned that the PowerMizer registry settings throughout my recent spate of blackouts have been maintained throughout so might be something else.

    Am now pursuing a likely candidate for my recent blackouts - Google Chrome.

    Noticed that I was getting a few blackouts while mousing over it, and particularly when on the UK Daily Mail website.

    If that alone isn't a sign to stop browsing that darned speculative news site, I don't know what is. LOL

    Realised that hardware acceleration was switched on, and knowing it can cause issues I turned it off, and then looked a little deeper as some video content was a tiny sluggish so didn't want to keep it off.

    Found a diagnostic thread in Reddit which mentioned a GPU shader folder for Chrome, and to back it up and delete the files which saves keeping acceleration off.

    After turning HA back on, found it was stable for 4 days, but then had to restart the laptop due to high CPU (as you've previously mentioned and as I was already aware, CPU can sometimes get high due to dust, one of my apps triggered it)

    Monitoring for a few days since with no issue so let's see if it's coincidental.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-03T20:57:17+00:00

    I tried the method you suggested and the upgrade installer fails after the system reboot as soon as it wants to show the GUI.

    HOWEVER!

    I downloaded the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO from Microsoft and tried to boot with that one. As a surprise, surprise! This one booted successfully into the Windows 10 installer. I need to back up some of the data and see if I can install that one.

    EDIT:

    It worked! While I couldn't make the jump from Windows 10 1909 to 2009 a.k.a. 2020H1 or 2020H2, I was able to jump from 1909 to Insider Preview 21286 a.k.a 2021H1. I downloaded the ISO from the Microsoft website and used the upgrade option when launching the setup from the USB key.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-01T18:10:31+00:00

    Since you are booting a USB or DVD, you can't control what it does with PowerMizer (built-in in Nvidia's driver). I've been running upgrades from within running Windows systems, and then after a reboot I disconnect the AC adapter and run on battery until I can run PowerMizer Manager to set power to low again.

    If you delete PowerMizer's registry settings then PowerMizer is running. I'm amazed that someone else did it without getting black screens, but I haven't tried reproducing that experiment.

    If you keep PowerMizer's settings at low and run 20H2's setup from within 1909, does it work?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-01T16:34:17+00:00

    In theory, then it should work the same way as for my video card, but my video card won't boot into the Windows installer. It crashes when it has to show the GUI.

    Version 1909 works fine. I tried deleting PowerMizer altogether but that doesn't seem to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-01T16:16:53+00:00

    20H2 runs on my Dell Precision M6500's that have FX3800M and FX2800M display adapters. I use PowerMizer Manager to set power and performance to minimum so they don't black out; I haven't experimented yet as someone else did with deleting the PowerMizer registry settings.

    I already knew that Nvidia's driver 342.01 was the last.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments