I have the same problem on my Surface Pro 7, and it's really really annoying. In fact, I have two problems with the night light feature.
- If the night light mode is on, and my Surface goes to sleep, Night light will be off when I wake it, but the toggle is still in the 'on' status. I have to toggle if off and on again to re-activate it.
- Night light doesn't turn off as scheduled. I have my night light scheduled to turn on at 11:30pm, and turn off at 9am the next day. It turns on as scheduled at 11:30pm. When I go to bed at midnight, I shut down the Surface. When I wake up and boot up the Surface after 9am, I expect the night light to be off. However, it remains on. Again I have to toggle the setting on and off to fix it.
I reinstalled my graphics drivers and am on the latest windows updates, but neither have resolved this.
I don't understand how this basic functionality hasn't been fixed yet. These are simple, obvious use cases, and it's clearly occurring across many devices. Do Microsoft employees even use their own products? Do they even read these posts?