Windows 10 Feature Update 2004 appears to have broken Windows Live Mail

Anonymous
2020-06-15T08:55:37+00:00

Hi

Have just installed Windows 10 Feature Update 2004 but Windows Live Mail appears to no longer work. The app opens and emails appear but unable to open them - a variety of "Could not write this message to disk" and "Check your computer for low memory"

Is anyone else who still uses Windows Live Mail getting this as well and is there a workaround?

I appreciate Microsoft no longer supports Windows Live Mail but it has functionality that the alternative Mail app doesn't have such as send/receive on all mail accounts with one button and a better layout (imo)

thanks ...

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-16T19:01:21+00:00

I think i have written clearly the exact error message and not just "I get an error message". I think i've seen that phrase as a stock answer in another post and you may have accidentally applied it to mine.

OK. Here are the further details of the "Could not write this message to disk"

This happens on both microsoft and non-microsoft accounts

Configuration:

   Account: Googlemail ([redacted])

   Server: imap.googlemail.com

   Username: [redacted]

   Protocol: IMAP

   Port: 993

   Secure(SSL): 1

   Code: 800c013e

Configuration:

   Account: Hotmail.co (redacted)

   Server: imap-mail.outlook.com

   Username: [redacted]@hotmail.co.uk

   Protocol: IMAP

   Port: 993

   Secure(SSL): 1

   Code: 800c013e

This appears once only on selecting the email and then in the preview pane i get the message below, (for info i am not low on memory or disk space. This is the first app i open with 24GB RAM.)

Message could not be displayed

Windows Live Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.


Windows Live Mail Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331)

Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.329)

Finally, i am able to read emails that were received before the Feature Update 2004, I am only unable to read emails received after Feature Update 2004, hence the title of my post.

I await further instruction, thank you.

Try the solution posted by WLMUser2020 on the equivalent Germain site to this one. (you may need to use Google translate).

https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/windowslive/forum/all/probleme-mit-windows-live-mail-seit-mai-update/297c8827-55ce-4f57-8422-7fe6fdba642c

WLMUser2020's solution has worked perfectly for me. I can now send and receive emails and view them and view all new emails received. I can now right click view and edit properties of my email accounts (one is a Hotmail account) which would not work after the Windows 10 2004 update.

All seems to be working that was working previously for me in Windows 10 Ver 1909. 

Hope this works for you and interested others, as it did for me.

Kind Regards

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-18T21:09:50+00:00

    DKO777's message of June 16 (2020) has helped me, thanks a lot... If someone does not speak German or if the description is not clear for non-experts, here I tell you :

    Press Windows key + R to open a Run box, type regedit (registry editor) and press enter.

    On the left column look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder, in it look for SOFTWARE folder, in it Microsoft folder, and in it Windows Live Mail folder and click on it (path : Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail).

    On the top bar menu, click on Edit, then select New, then select DWORD value (32 bit).

    Rename the new value to RecreateFolderIndex.

    Right click on the value by the mouse, then select Modify. Give 1 to the value.

    You repeat twice the same but with different names :

    On the top bar menu, click on Edit, then select New, then select DWORD value (32 bit).

    Rename the new value to RecreateStreamIndex.

    Right click on the value by the mouse, then select Modify. Give 1 to the value.

    On the top bar menu, click on Edit, then select New, then select DWORD value (32 bit).

    Rename the new value to RecreateUIDLIndex.

    Right click on the value by the mouse, then select Modify. Give 1 to the value.

    Close it, close and restart WLM and it will work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-19T00:11:36+00:00

    Thanks Igor...... I didn't dare try any regedit with the German translation, having never touched it before. Printed your post to use if/when I do try.

    Meanwhile... do you or anyone here think MS will fix this with another (small) update soon? The 2004 feature one took hours. Now I need to use Comcast (Xfinity) webmail - which does not have all my many years of WLM folders for "move to"... which I refer to often. I know MS does not "support" WLM any more... but is that an excuse for 2004 update corrupting it? No! 

    WLM still reads anything before this infamous update on 8/16/2020. But it won't reply or send anything. It Also downloads new messages (title bolded) but gives the horrible message "Windows Live Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again." with no error code. Memory is NOT an issue.

    I don't suppose there is a phone # I can call at Microsoft? Blogs or live chat (to who) only other option? I called Comcast tech support and they confirmed all my IMAP settings are still correct.

    Don't know if MS actually reads these posts or not. Is there a way to actually forward it to them?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-19T18:11:00+00:00

    Hello SevenJ !

    Do not wait aid from Microsoft... 20 years now that I have computer but I never got any help from them, only complicated and unnecessary advises like change the program, remove and reinstall the program, etc. That is all what they can say... I am wondering how they could developpe the most popular world wide system.

    I hate to touch the registry because I am not an expert at all but these small steps were quiet logical.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-22T01:28:04+00:00

    Hi

    Have just installed Windows 10 Feature Update 2004 but Windows Live Mail appears to no longer work. The app opens and emails appear but unable to open them - a variety of "Could not write this message to disk" and "Check your computer for low memory"

    Is anyone else who still uses Windows Live Mail getting this as well and is there a workaround?

    I appreciate Microsoft no longer supports Windows Live Mail but it has functionality that the alternative Mail app doesn't have such as send/receive on all mail accounts with one button and a better layout (imo)

    thanks ...

    start desktop window 10 with icon email  (******@outlook.com)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments