Windows 10 Feature Update 2004 appears to have broken Windows Live Mail

Anonymous
2020-06-15T08:55:37+00:00

Hi

Have just installed Windows 10 Feature Update 2004 but Windows Live Mail appears to no longer work. The app opens and emails appear but unable to open them - a variety of "Could not write this message to disk" and "Check your computer for low memory"

Is anyone else who still uses Windows Live Mail getting this as well and is there a workaround?

I appreciate Microsoft no longer supports Windows Live Mail but it has functionality that the alternative Mail app doesn't have such as send/receive on all mail accounts with one button and a better layout (imo)

thanks ...

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-16T19:01:21+00:00

I think i have written clearly the exact error message and not just "I get an error message". I think i've seen that phrase as a stock answer in another post and you may have accidentally applied it to mine.

OK. Here are the further details of the "Could not write this message to disk"

This happens on both microsoft and non-microsoft accounts

Configuration:

   Account: Googlemail ([redacted])

   Server: imap.googlemail.com

   Username: [redacted]

   Protocol: IMAP

   Port: 993

   Secure(SSL): 1

   Code: 800c013e

Configuration:

   Account: Hotmail.co (redacted)

   Server: imap-mail.outlook.com

   Username: [redacted]@hotmail.co.uk

   Protocol: IMAP

   Port: 993

   Secure(SSL): 1

   Code: 800c013e

This appears once only on selecting the email and then in the preview pane i get the message below, (for info i am not low on memory or disk space. This is the first app i open with 24GB RAM.)

Message could not be displayed

Windows Live Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.


Windows Live Mail Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331)

Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.329)

Finally, i am able to read emails that were received before the Feature Update 2004, I am only unable to read emails received after Feature Update 2004, hence the title of my post.

I await further instruction, thank you.

Try the solution posted by WLMUser2020 on the equivalent Germain site to this one. (you may need to use Google translate).

https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/windowslive/forum/all/probleme-mit-windows-live-mail-seit-mai-update/297c8827-55ce-4f57-8422-7fe6fdba642c

WLMUser2020's solution has worked perfectly for me. I can now send and receive emails and view them and view all new emails received. I can now right click view and edit properties of my email accounts (one is a Hotmail account) which would not work after the Windows 10 2004 update.

All seems to be working that was working previously for me in Windows 10 Ver 1909. 

Hope this works for you and interested others, as it did for me.

Kind Regards

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-21T23:45:54+00:00

    Please start a new question. This one is now too long and confusing.

    To enable someone to help, please say which version of Windows your computer is currently running, and which version of Windows Live Mail you have.

    To find the Windows Live Mail program version and build, open Windows Live Mail. Then, with the program displayed on the screen, do the following on the keyboard -

    1. Press: Alt+F
    2. Press: B

    And say which e-mail service you use: e.g. Hotmail, Gmail, etc.

    And describe what you were doing when the problem arose, and give the full text of any error message displayed, including the error number (an 8-digit number). The error number identifies the exact error that is occurring, and is usually essential for solving your problem.

    Did this error occur immediately following a Windows update?

    Please note that if you are running any other e-mail program such as Outlook, Outlook on the web, or Mail for Windows 10, I only use Windows Live Mail so can't help with those others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-02-22T01:25:04+00:00

    Thanks for the info. Followed the instructions to the letter, including DWORD and re-start.

    Unfortunately, I still can't receive my email. :o( Not sure what to do now.

    Windows 10 updates seem to always cause problems with something!

    Are you sure that you're running the *installed* program, Windows Live Mail (toolbar looks like the image below)?

    Don

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-22T19:53:36+00:00

    Thanks for responding. Yes, I am using the program.

    After posting my comment here, I sat and thought about the steps I took.

    I went through it again before I realized my errors.

    I was not getting the data number modified correctly.

    Clicking on the DWORD words brought up a menu that allowed me to click "modify", and enter the number 1.

    Hurray!!!

    All is working now!

    Thank you for all your instructions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more