Unable to disable OneDrive file on-demand

Anonymous
2020-06-07T06:37:45+00:00

I changed my OneDrive local file store location last week.  Then I found I'm unable to uncheck "File On-Demand" option for OneDrive for business account.  When I click that option, a warning message pops-up.  When I click "OK",  there is no change for this setting.   Intetesting thing is, I can change the same setting for my personal OneDrive account, also able to change business OneDrive  settings on another machine.    Wondering if there is a setting to change or I have to reinstall/ reset OneDrive?

Thank you

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-27T02:09:12+00:00

    Sadly the regedit @ShanShinan posted did not work for me.

    I'm still unable to make unchecking the box persist.

    If Microsoft sees this, this appears to be a recent problem, is it related to the May Update? I had the same issue on a machine with a clean install from Microsoft Recovery Media.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-27T10:56:44+00:00

    My workaround was to go to the actual OneDrive folders on the PC, right click and then select 'always keep on this device' in the menu.

    The status icon should then change from a cloud to a white tick in a green circle - once it's downloaded.

    Granted it's not an elegant solution, but it worked for me. 

    Confirmed, OneDrive in "Personal mode", currently at version 20.084.0426.0007 (installed on Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, build 19041.329). I tried reset of OneDrive, reinstall of OneDrive, registry keys mentioned in this thread. Nothing helped. Checkbox will never accept "unchecked" state.

    It looks like someone in Microsoft decided to force this as the only option, but forgot to remove this useless checkbox from UI.

    The only thing that seems helpful is this workaround with "always keep on this device" which needs to be set explicitly per folder. Thank you, @billallen_UK

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-27T11:56:40+00:00

    That sounds like a great idea. I can make the template manager make a small change (Enter a letter into an unimportant cell or something minor) to the template and see whether my local templates match up when I flick the internet on and off.

    I'll give that a try on Monday and see if that works. 

    Thanks a lot for your help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-27T22:15:44+00:00

    I need that this option can be disabled, I want all my files from onedrive to be available locally. For those that I don't, I've created special folder called Cloud only and that folder is deselected when choosing folders to sync in onedrive setup.

    This workaround with make this available offline is not very good thing since it has to be set on every folder - if parent folder is made available offline subfolders don't necessarily sync to local disk. This is not good! 

    Please, allow me to freely enable/disable files on demand feature.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more