Unable to disable OneDrive file on-demand

Anonymous
2020-06-07T06:37:45+00:00

I changed my OneDrive local file store location last week.  Then I found I'm unable to uncheck "File On-Demand" option for OneDrive for business account.  When I click that option, a warning message pops-up.  When I click "OK",  there is no change for this setting.   Intetesting thing is, I can change the same setting for my personal OneDrive account, also able to change business OneDrive  settings on another machine.    Wondering if there is a setting to change or I have to reinstall/ reset OneDrive?

Thank you

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-21T17:58:19+00:00

    I just had the same problem yesterday. I followed this thread and did everything people suggested and had ZERO success.

    Then I decided to uninstall Microsoft 365 and OneDrive. Rebooted and reinstalled Microsoft 365.

    Problem resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-24T08:39:02+00:00

    Thanks, Shan, for sharing this solution. It worked for me. I first had to create the "OneDrive" Folder (New --> Key) in the registry. My registry now looks like this:

    This removes the files-on-demand feature from all OneDrive for business instances (I have multiple OneDrive for business accounts). This works for me.

    However, has anybody an idea if and how this feature could be disabled for a specific OneDrive for business account only?

    Thanks, Marco

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-24T22:25:55+00:00

    Same problem. I'm trying to disable files on demand in OneDrive to see my thumbnails again, but the option re-checks itself after a pop-up informing me that "files will be stored on the device now". I looked all over the internet for a solution - no luck.

    Oh and the registry key option doesn't work for me either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-25T10:25:50+00:00

    Same problem. I'm trying to disable files on demand in OneDrive to see my thumbnails again, but the option re-checks itself after a pop-up informing me that "files will be stored on the device now". I looked all over the internet for a solution - no luck.

    Oh and the registry key option doesn't work for me either.

    I had the same problem this morning on a personal account. Like you it re-checks itself!

    My workaround was to go to the actual OneDrive folders on the PC, right click and then select 'always keep on this device' in the menu.

    The status icon should then change from a cloud to a white tick in a green circle - once it's downloaded.

    Granted it's not an elegant solution, but it worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-25T10:29:47+00:00

    ...by the way I didn't come up with this solution - someone called Shawn Brink did on another forum:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/86856-mark-onedrive-files-always-keep-device-windows-10-a.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments