Unable to disable OneDrive file on-demand

Anonymous
2020-06-07T06:37:45+00:00

I changed my OneDrive local file store location last week.  Then I found I'm unable to uncheck "File On-Demand" option for OneDrive for business account.  When I click that option, a warning message pops-up.  When I click "OK",  there is no change for this setting.   Intetesting thing is, I can change the same setting for my personal OneDrive account, also able to change business OneDrive  settings on another machine.    Wondering if there is a setting to change or I have to reinstall/ reset OneDrive?

Thank you

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Jan J.23 13,925 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-06-08T06:53:53+00:00

    Hi ShanShinan,

            I hope they can resolve the issue. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-13T10:04:21+00:00

    Hi Shan

    Any news?

    I have the same problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-13T11:02:50+00:00

    Contacted OneDrive support.  Not resolved yet.   Case still open.

    Thank you for the post.  I will let them know I'm not alone.  

    Thank you,

    Shan

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-13T16:40:56+00:00

    I have same problem.

    I want to know how to resolve it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-14T08:28:44+00:00

    Thank you all for the replies about this thread.

    I think I found a workaround about it although the root cause is still unknown.

    The workaround is to add a DWORD item "FilesOnDemandEnabled" under 

            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\OneDrive

    and set its value to 0

    This is based on this article:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/use-group-policy#use-onedrive-files-on-demand 

    After reboot, the "Files On-Demand"option on OneDrive setting dialog box will be gone and it will work as if there is no such a thing, which is to download all files to local drive.

    Of course we can turn it back by setting above registry value to 1.

    Hope it helps

    [Edit] this method seems only works for business account but not personal account.  At least on my case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments