Unable to disable OneDrive file on-demand

Anonymous
2020-06-07T06:37:45+00:00

I changed my OneDrive local file store location last week.  Then I found I'm unable to uncheck "File On-Demand" option for OneDrive for business account.  When I click that option, a warning message pops-up.  When I click "OK",  there is no change for this setting.   Intetesting thing is, I can change the same setting for my personal OneDrive account, also able to change business OneDrive  settings on another machine.    Wondering if there is a setting to change or I have to reinstall/ reset OneDrive?

Thank you

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-14T19:25:43+00:00

    You can install version 20.114.0607.0001 to resolve this issue without having to enable Insider preview.

    Thank you very much. I installed this version and it fixed the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-01T19:17:38+00:00

    Wow! That solved it. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-01T18:33:52+00:00

    Worked for me too.

    Become an Insider: Settings | Windows Update | Windows Insider Program. Join, and be sure to select Beta Channel. If you choose Release Preview Channel, you will not get it. Go through the enrollment process. Wait five minutes. Go to Windows Update, and check. It installed Windows 10, version 20H2 for me.

    This solved the problem. I guess in five more days, they will start rolling it out, and this thread will no longer be needed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-27T10:56:44+00:00

    My workaround was to go to the actual OneDrive folders on the PC, right click and then select 'always keep on this device' in the menu.

    The status icon should then change from a cloud to a white tick in a green circle - once it's downloaded.

    Granted it's not an elegant solution, but it worked for me. 

    Confirmed, OneDrive in "Personal mode", currently at version 20.084.0426.0007 (installed on Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, build 19041.329). I tried reset of OneDrive, reinstall of OneDrive, registry keys mentioned in this thread. Nothing helped. Checkbox will never accept "unchecked" state.

    It looks like someone in Microsoft decided to force this as the only option, but forgot to remove this useless checkbox from UI.

    The only thing that seems helpful is this workaround with "always keep on this device" which needs to be set explicitly per folder. Thank you, @billallen_UK

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-26T17:12:19+00:00

    Hi Jonny,

    I'm not a Sharepoint expert and I don't work for Microsoft (be nice if I did as looking at the moment...)

    But I don't see why it wouldn't work - you should test it.

    FWIW here's what I would do:

    • Have one person/account responsible for maintaining the master/s,
    • They share a read only version of the master (read only so others can't mess up the master),
    • Mark this document/folder 'always keep on this device' on each device that it's been shared with,
    • You open file, save as and use as normal,
    • Test it a few times, allowing OneDrive time to sync and turning off internet access etc...

    I'm sure there's an easier way :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments