missing picture password option in sign-in options window, does not appear to exist! PLEASE HELP

Anonymous
2020-06-29T17:47:39+00:00

I recently reset my pc back to factory default... Before doing this I was able to use picture password as my sign-in option but now, that option is no longer available to me and this poses a big issue for me, personally.

When I go to the sign-in option window, this is the only options I see here:

Yes, everything is fully updated with the latest creators edition and all current windows updates (according to when I attempt to install updates, it says "Your up to date"

I've also performed all the suggestions I found online per the ways to fix this.

here's a run down of all the steps taken:

using the 'run' box I typed in the following:

Step 1:

  1. secpol.msc and press Enter.
  2. In the left pane of Local Security Policy window, navigate to Local Policies -> Security Options.
  3. On the right hand side, double-click on the “Interactive Logon: Do Not Display Last User Name” setting.

Steps 2 & 3 were given to turn off picture password, I wanted to turn it on, so the suggestion to select enabled to turn it off, I chose disabled and instead of a value set at 1, I set it at 0

Step 2:

  1. Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
  2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon 3. In the right pane, you can see a policy named “Turn off picture password sign-in“, double-click on it and set it to Enabled (I selected DISABLED instead). Finally, click Apply / OK and reboot to apply the changes.

Step 3:

Disable Picture Password Sign-in with Register Editor

  1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run box. Type regedit and press Enter. This will open the Registry Editor.
  2. Next, navigate to following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

If the **System** subkey doesn’t exist, you’ll have to create it.
  1. In right pane, look for an entry named BlockDomainPicturePassword. If it doesn’t exist, right-click on empty space and create a DWORD value and assign name as BlockDomainPicturePassword.
  2. Double-click the BlockDomainPicturePassword value and set it to 1. I SET THE VALUE TO 0

YES! I RESTARTED PC, NO GOOD! I am still unable to even see PICTURE PASSWORD as a sign-in option in the sign-in options window, per the image above

These are the only steps I've been able to locate to hopefully resolve my issue but none of these has panned out.

I really need some assistance here to resolve this specific issue.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SIGN IN USING MY SELECTED PICTURE PASSOWRD, but how am I supposed to do that, if that option is not even available to me? I.e. windows hello face (unavailable on my machine. windows hello fingerprint (also unavailable). windows hello PIN. and security key. BUT NO PICTURE PASSWORD!!!

Please, can somebody help me fix this?

I've been at this for 3-1/2 days now, attempting to fix it on my own and retrying, retrying and retrying more, the same steps over and over again (because the above steps are the only ones I've found that even remotely addresses my issue, somewhat) and I feel like I'm about to lose my mind...

thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-04T15:54:14+00:00

BRO BRO BRO!!!!! i found the solution!!!! ITS A GREAT DAY FOR YOU!!!!  u need to turn off the "require windows hello sign in" then later close the settings and open again!! AND BOOYAH!!!!! the picture password is back!!!!!!! DONT thank me but plz purchase for me Minecraft for Java edition!!! Thanks!!!

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-03T04:26:59+00:00

    1.    Which media did you use to re-install Windows? Was it an ISO image downloaded from Microsoft Downloads using MCT or a pre-downloaded image?

    I tried both, first the iso image downloaded from microsoft and then (upon realizing later that I had a predownloaded-installed version of windows) I used that. I just bought this pc last month, so id not know it came with a preinstalled (that I could access) version of windows, meaning it was preinstalled but I did not know that I could reset my pc using it, or how to even access it, I found it by accident and so yes... both, neither worked to resolve the issue.

    2.    Are you using a Work account by any chance or group policies that are synced from a server?

    I am using my personal account, not work or business

    I contacted the seller of the pc I bought to see if he had a windows 10 disc I could purchase and he told me it was preinstalled and by then I already discovered that out during the 3rd attempt at resetting my pc back to factory defaults but more than that, after replying to the seller earlier tonight, I did another search using a different set of keywords and found, upon going through those steps, that I do not have access to the hardware and devices troubleshooter. As a matter of fact, I don't have any troubleshooter, it too, is missing

    Since the new information I was able to locate, per several different websites per this issue, states that if those things don't resolve the issue, it may be a corrupt windows 10 os software, perhaps with both the iso and the preinstalled versions, I am going to try one more thing...

    I intend to buy a brand new copy of windows and hopefully that will resolve the issue once and for all.

    I do appreciate any suggestions you can provide me though, in the meantime. (UPDATE) I just bought the new windows, it should be here around july 8-10 (hasn't shipped yet), so I'll keep you posted as to how that works out as well and look forward to any advice you can give me in the meantime.

    Thanks again for your assistance and time :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-04T11:31:49+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

    I understand that you’re facing issues with using picture password on your PC, and I certainly appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

    We will certainly look into this for you.

    For further clarity on the issue, I would like to know the version of Windows 10 that you’re using currently.

    Meanwhile, I would suggest you to creating a new user account and see if you’re able to set picture password. Refer the article Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

    Let us know how it goes. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

    Regards,

    Prakhar Khare

    Microsoft Community – Moderator

    I am also suffering to this problem...My account is Administrator but still facing this problem...I have currently installed os May Update 2004...Before this installation I have picture password...Please take this problem seriously... :( (sad face)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-20T17:39:00+00:00

    Same problem here. Any update on that issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-04T15:54:39+00:00

    Same problem here. Any update on that issue?

    BRO BRO BRO!!!!! i found the solution!!!! ITS A GREAT DAY FOR YOU!!!!  u need to turn off the "require windows hello sign in" then later close the settings and open again!! AND BOOYAH!!!!! the picture password is back!!!!!!! DONT thank me but plz purchase for me Minecraft for Java edition!!! Thanks!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments