missing picture password option in sign-in options window, does not appear to exist! PLEASE HELP

Anonymous
2020-06-29T17:47:39+00:00

I recently reset my pc back to factory default... Before doing this I was able to use picture password as my sign-in option but now, that option is no longer available to me and this poses a big issue for me, personally.

When I go to the sign-in option window, this is the only options I see here:

Yes, everything is fully updated with the latest creators edition and all current windows updates (according to when I attempt to install updates, it says "Your up to date"

I've also performed all the suggestions I found online per the ways to fix this.

here's a run down of all the steps taken:

using the 'run' box I typed in the following:

Step 1:

  1. secpol.msc and press Enter.
  2. In the left pane of Local Security Policy window, navigate to Local Policies -> Security Options.
  3. On the right hand side, double-click on the “Interactive Logon: Do Not Display Last User Name” setting.

Steps 2 & 3 were given to turn off picture password, I wanted to turn it on, so the suggestion to select enabled to turn it off, I chose disabled and instead of a value set at 1, I set it at 0

Step 2:

  1. Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
  2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon 3. In the right pane, you can see a policy named “Turn off picture password sign-in“, double-click on it and set it to Enabled (I selected DISABLED instead). Finally, click Apply / OK and reboot to apply the changes.

Step 3:

Disable Picture Password Sign-in with Register Editor

  1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run box. Type regedit and press Enter. This will open the Registry Editor.
  2. Next, navigate to following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

If the **System** subkey doesn’t exist, you’ll have to create it.
  1. In right pane, look for an entry named BlockDomainPicturePassword. If it doesn’t exist, right-click on empty space and create a DWORD value and assign name as BlockDomainPicturePassword.
  2. Double-click the BlockDomainPicturePassword value and set it to 1. I SET THE VALUE TO 0

YES! I RESTARTED PC, NO GOOD! I am still unable to even see PICTURE PASSWORD as a sign-in option in the sign-in options window, per the image above

These are the only steps I've been able to locate to hopefully resolve my issue but none of these has panned out.

I really need some assistance here to resolve this specific issue.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SIGN IN USING MY SELECTED PICTURE PASSOWRD, but how am I supposed to do that, if that option is not even available to me? I.e. windows hello face (unavailable on my machine. windows hello fingerprint (also unavailable). windows hello PIN. and security key. BUT NO PICTURE PASSWORD!!!

Please, can somebody help me fix this?

I've been at this for 3-1/2 days now, attempting to fix it on my own and retrying, retrying and retrying more, the same steps over and over again (because the above steps are the only ones I've found that even remotely addresses my issue, somewhat) and I feel like I'm about to lose my mind...

thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-04T15:54:14+00:00

BRO BRO BRO!!!!! i found the solution!!!! ITS A GREAT DAY FOR YOU!!!!  u need to turn off the "require windows hello sign in" then later close the settings and open again!! AND BOOYAH!!!!! the picture password is back!!!!!!! DONT thank me but plz purchase for me Minecraft for Java edition!!! Thanks!!!

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T01:32:38+00:00

    This actually fixed mine. Just turn off Hello sign in and I signed off, then signed back on and it showed!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-04T16:19:43+00:00

    yeah.... you're going to have to ask your parents to get you minecraft, lol Christmas is right around the corner, literally.

    Outside of that, I too am self taught with computers, and I did attempt the simplest things first, even that option; it was one of the first options I tried BUT it was not an issue with the update however, if the windows 10 software installed gets corrupted (like mine did), then yes, the updates can pose similar issues.

    What I had to do, was get the seller to send me a certified copy of windows 10 pro x64 bit; the installed version was inaccessible (missing), then reset everything to factory defaults and reinstall the OS from the disc he sent. Once I did that, I no longer had any issues.

    My current update is well past the may 2004 one, the one I thought caused the issues and I am using picture password now.

    thanks again for your help and do ask really nicely for your parents to buy you that game... offer to do some extra chores or something if simply asking doesn't work... who knows, they may say yes.

    blessings

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-04T16:10:11+00:00

    turns out for me, it wasn't an update issue but was a corrupted os issue. once i reinstalled the new (replacement) os the seller sent me I have not had any further issues even after several updates.

    Perhaps reinstalling windows to factory defaults might help???

    Just be sure to backup everything first, should you try this option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-03T03:08:19+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for replying with the updated information, and I apologize for the delayed response.

    We are researching on this issue. Meanwhile, please let us know the information below:

    1.    Which media did you use to re-install Windows? Was it an ISO image downloaded from Microsoft Downloads using MCT or a pre-downloaded image?

    2.    Are you using a Work account by any chance or group policies that are synced from a server?

    We certainly appreciate your efforts, however, we will continue to investigate on this issue.

    Regards,

    Prakhar Khare

    Microsoft Community - Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments