Focused window bleed onto second monitor

Anonymous
2020-07-21T12:44:58+00:00

Hi all,

A month or so ago I updated my windows 10 and noticed when I was focused on a window on one monitor it would bleed over onto the other monitor. I waited for the next windows 10 update to see if that would fix the issue, I updated my windows 10 version last week, but it did not fix my issue. Does anyone know how to stop the focused window from bleeding onto the second monitor?

I have posted a picture below that demonstrates the issue I am having.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-05T08:53:20+00:00

    As far as I know, there is no real solution for this at the moment but it is possible to use Microsofts powertoys to workaround this until it is solved.

    https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys

    This will help you manage your zones in different layouts aswell as work around the issue. Since you can change layouts using windows key + %, and choose the full screen layout by setting the amount of open apps to 1. This way it will take up the full screen without being maximized and without the border being shown aswell.

    Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-04T09:06:44+00:00

    I had this same issue. In my case my MAIN display was the extended display. You have a checkbox in display settings 'Make this my main display'. Make sure it is checked for your laptop's display and NOT for your extended display. The issue seems to be resolved for me when I made this change.

    So, in short you just have to make sure your main display is your laptop's display and NOT the extended one.

    My setup looks like this - I have one extended display on top of my windows laptop.

    I hope this helps! Thanks!

    Unfortunately this doesn't help in my case, my laptop's display is selected as main display and the issue is still there. Setup is the same as yours.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-31T17:38:45+00:00

    I had this same issue. In my case my MAIN display was the extended display. You have a checkbox in display settings 'Make this my main display'. Make sure it is checked for your laptop's display and NOT for your extended display. The issue seems to be resolved for me when I made this change.

    So, in short you just have to make sure your main display is your laptop's display and NOT the extended one.

    My setup looks like this - I have one extended display on top of my windows laptop.

    I hope this helps! Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-28T12:57:16+00:00

    I have the same issue with laptop 1920x1280 100% scaling and monitor positioned on top of it (1920x1280, 100% scaling). It happens for example with Chrome. The issue started to happen after Windows 20H2 update. This is how it looks with Edge (notice the white bar above grey title bar, this is the overlap):

    Image

    I cannot fix it by moving monitors further apart in display settings, because they always attach in this default position. I have updated and reinstalled GPU drivers, nothing changed. It is most probably is a bug in Windows 20H2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-12-02T00:39:38+00:00

    I have the same issue as well. Bottom (laptop, 4K) monitor at 250% and top (external via HDMI from USB-C hub, 1400x900) at 100%. Not a problem in day to day use, but irritating when presenting!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments