Why is Windows 10 Version 2004 preventing logon scripts from mapping NAS drives at first logon attempt?

Anonymous
2020-06-06T22:33:25+00:00

Since we updated Windows 10 to Version 2004 that all the machines in our domain stopped mapping NAS drives at first logon.

When the users start the machines and logon the logon script maps correctly the drives in several servers but not in the NAS.

If they logoff and logon again then the mapping is done correctly.

The problem occurs sistematically and started only after Version 2004 was installed.

It has nothing to do with SMB 1.0 being enabled - it was already enabled before Version 2004 as it was needed because we are talking about an old NAS.

Direct SMB appeared enabled and we disabled it, but it didn't solve the problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-24T14:29:47+00:00

    Had the same issue after 2004 update, mapped drive on windows server 2012. Found the fix a moment ago, enable smbv2 protocol with the following powershell command :

    Set-SmbServerConfiguration –EnableSMB2Protocol $true

    • shame on microsoft for having us suffer this long!!

    This worked for me using an old NAS.

    Edit - Actually I take that back unfortunately it does not work for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-24T13:29:02+00:00

    I just tried this on my system, it does not work :)  In my case it is a Windows 2003 server.   The real solution is to get rid of the 17 year old OS.  However I am stuck between a corporate rock and a hard place and can't update it. 

    I am experiencing the same issues, logon scripts won't run in less than 20 minutes and the persistent connection swill always fail.

    What is really baffling is that it will run OK the FIRST time after all the connections are removed (net use * /d /y) .  But if you forget to blow the connections off before rebooting your're stuck again with no access and glacial logon scripts.

    Hopefully your fix will help some of the people that have access to SANS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-24T12:01:53+00:00

    Had the same issue after 2004 update, mapped drive on windows server 2012. Found the fix a moment ago, enable smbv2 protocol with the following powershell command :

    Set-SmbServerConfiguration –EnableSMB2Protocol $true

    • shame on microsoft for having us suffer this long!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-15T11:15:19+00:00

    Add another one to the list...

    In my case a 2003 Server is at the center of my universe: roaming profiles + redirected folders + standard shares + logon scripts

    I spent one day trying to mitigate the problem, but couldn't find anything which really works.

    I disabled any logon script trying to connect shared folders, created the persistent connections manually, and started a series of reboots to see if the automatic reconnection of the persistent connections was working. Well, no, it doesn't work 100%. Sometimes the connected drives are setup properly, sometimes they are present but unavailable (and Explorer hangs with the green progress bar), sometimes I logon to a black screen which lasts forever, until I disconnect the network cable and interrupt the hanged connections to the 2003 server. I think that the "logon to black screen" happens when folder redirection fails, but I'm not sure.

    Since all of this happens randomly, even without any attempt to create / recreate the connections via scripts, I'm heavily banging my head on the wall...

    I tried to move the logon scripts to a different server (not 2003), I changed every "short" reference to the 2003 server into a FQDN (because it looks to me that using FQDNs slightly raises the chances of a successful logon), but these are not valid workarounds.

    One strange discovery is this: in an attempt to understand what's going on, I changed the VBscript I've been using for years so that it just prints the connections it finds, without any attempt to change them. Well, what really puzzled me is that in the context of execution of the script there is no connection defined at logon time... I "evolved" the script into a fully diagnostic tool :-) by writing a batch:

    run the script

    wait 90 seconds

    run the script 

    Even at the second run, no connection is listed, although I have the time to open and verify in Explorer that there they are, and working. As far as I know the script runs in the context of my account, so if I can see the connections in Explorer the script should see them as well, but no, no connection is listed. While, if I run the script manually from the command line, it lists connected drives properly. The VBscript is very standard, it uses WScript.Network and enumNetworkDrives to list connected drives, it's been working since we got the 2003 server, I also disabled fast logon to be sure that network is setup properly when the script runs, yet it lists nothing...

    At the moment I'm giving up: luckily I stopped the 1909 -> 2004 upgrade almost immediately, so I have just 2 machines to deal with, but I'm afraid that it's not a matter of waiting the next Patch Tuesday and that MS will not solve this one, since it is apparently involved with that black beast of SMB1...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-07T12:25:32+00:00

    ...such lack of respect for customers...

    Yeah, I work for a Fortune 1000 company and we spend hundreds of thousands yearly on Azure and other MS licenses for like 10,000 O365 users.  So, I am stuck with the dumb 32 bit Win 2003 server that' is a VM that the company does not want invest on replacing the Host so we can migrate it an it's 3TB disk array to a new OS. 

    The SILENCE is what is chapping my you know what.  this has a solution, as it worked fine all the way to 1909.  No one is addressing it because it's such an old OS and crappy protocol.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments