Why is Windows 10 Version 2004 preventing logon scripts from mapping NAS drives at first logon attempt?

Anonymous
2020-06-06T22:33:25+00:00

Since we updated Windows 10 to Version 2004 that all the machines in our domain stopped mapping NAS drives at first logon.

When the users start the machines and logon the logon script maps correctly the drives in several servers but not in the NAS.

If they logoff and logon again then the mapping is done correctly.

The problem occurs sistematically and started only after Version 2004 was installed.

It has nothing to do with SMB 1.0 being enabled - it was already enabled before Version 2004 as it was needed because we are talking about an old NAS.

Direct SMB appeared enabled and we disabled it, but it didn't solve the problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-27T16:31:00+00:00

    We ran into this same problem and going from notes here we hacked a different band aid into the logon script (this is hokey at best and I've got far worse ways to describe this...)

    We added a sleep statement at the top of the logon script which delayed the drive mapping, this (so far in testing) appears to work for all of the workstations we tested on.  Simply add the timeout command to the top and see what you get.  Your experience may vary...

    timeout /t 60

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-27T13:47:47+00:00

    I have the same issue. I would love to upgrade the server but its not going to happen anytime soon. We are in the process of building a new IT room and I will have to wait until that is finished. My fear is we will have more users with the problem before we can upgrade the server. I have three right now but with the potential to have up to 100.

    The REG delete in the logon scripts seems to be working for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-27T13:34:18+00:00

    MS has NOT responded to this issue.  I have updated only ONE of my laptops at work so I can test it.  It still works fine using the logon script that deletes the keys before an dafter the drive mappings.   However this does not fix the issue.  Because we are a large company, people outside the local site may map drives to this old 2003 server.  Even internally, users may have mapped additional drives manually to this server.  I can't fix this with the logon script.  Not with perhaps deleting ALL the reg keys to every possible drive mapping.  even then, users outside our physical site use a different script that is for THEIR site, and I can't fix their scripts.  

    All I have seen on other forums were snide remarks from posters that the solution is to upgrade the server, it is after all 17 years old.  Yes, that is the solution, however I can't do this.  This is controlled by corporate and they won't spend the money to replace it.  I've warned a bunch of people about this and gotten no where.  This has not been an issue up to and including Win 10 1909.

    If it tracks like other Windows 10 updates, at some point corporate will force it to be installed.  If we still have this same cranky old server it is going to cause us a lot of pain.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-27T12:24:40+00:00

    I just kept logging into my account over and over.  I experienced it twice, the same effects as before I found the reg delete fix, the logon script just sits there for minutes when remapping the 2003 drives. 

    I WAS using persistent drives, I deleted them and also removed the /persistent part of the command in the script. 

    I run the REG delete before AND after the drive mapping.  JUST on the 2003 server drive letters.  I can see it's the 2003 server drive letters that are stalling.  The rest of our mappings is to server 2016 or 2019.

    I guess fast logon is on by default, but like I said I delete the registry settings before AND after the mappings.  First to delete any that were there already, second to delete any created when mapping during that logon. 

    I'm not sure how to disable fast logon, is it the same as fast startup?   I'm not seeing setting for fast logon, just fast startup, which we DO have turned off

    Has Microsoft  responded to this issue? I have the same problem with several Windows 10 PC that just upgraded to update 2004. They are only the mapped drives that connect to a 2003 server. 

    Is the scripted still working? Where did you add it? We have a login script .BAT file in each users profile.

    I know also the real answer may be upgrade the 2003 server, but as others has stated that is not always easy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-07T19:32:15+00:00

    I just kept logging into my account over and over.  I experienced it twice, the same effects as before I found the reg delete fix, the logon script just sits there for minutes when remapping the 2003 drives. 

    I WAS using persistent drives, I deleted them and also removed the /persistent part of the command in the script. 

    I run the REG delete before AND after the drive mapping.  JUST on the 2003 server drive letters.  I can see it's the 2003 server drive letters that are stalling.  The rest of our mappings is to server 2016 or 2019.

    I guess fast logon is on by default, but like I said I delete the registry settings before AND after the mappings.  First to delete any that were there already, second to delete any created when mapping during that logon. 

    I'm not sure how to disable fast logon, is it the same as fast startup?   I'm not seeing setting for fast logon, just fast startup, which we DO have turned off

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments