Why is Windows 10 Version 2004 preventing logon scripts from mapping NAS drives at first logon attempt?

Anonymous
2020-06-06T22:33:25+00:00

Since we updated Windows 10 to Version 2004 that all the machines in our domain stopped mapping NAS drives at first logon.

When the users start the machines and logon the logon script maps correctly the drives in several servers but not in the NAS.

If they logoff and logon again then the mapping is done correctly.

The problem occurs sistematically and started only after Version 2004 was installed.

It has nothing to do with SMB 1.0 being enabled - it was already enabled before Version 2004 as it was needed because we are talking about an old NAS.

Direct SMB appeared enabled and we disabled it, but it didn't solve the problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-06T12:30:20+00:00

    Well, I've rebooted my test system and have found that the above reg deletion does NOT fix it 100%.  Occasionally on logon the scripts still stall and take ~10 minutes to complete.   It's happened to me twice in maybe 20 reboots.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-04T19:32:50+00:00

    I took almost a week, but I finally got the logon script changed.  Politics!  Pah!

    I put the REG delete commands at the head of the script for the 2003 server mappings, I also stuck it on the end should the NEW mapping command recreate it. 

    It works, but is not a real fix.  Any YES, I know replacing the 2003 server is the way to go. Still working through that issue.

    Since our sites logon scripts are site specific this won't fix users who are mapping drives to the 2003 server from the WAN. If the update to 2004 they are going to not likeit.

    This also will not fix any drive mappings that a user has created manually.  If they map to this 2003 server and that mapping creates the UseOptions key and value they are going to be in trouble.

    So, I don't look forward to what's around the corner at my work.  This is not going to be fun. 

    Has anyone heard from Microsoft about this issue anywhere else?  I imagine they are not too interested in fixing this issue. 

    Does anyone know what this value in UseOptions actually does?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T16:40:23+00:00

    Not related to the main topic, I apologize, but... very old school VBScript will let you check mapped drives with 5 lines of code, add 5-10 more to intercept those you want to delete / fix

    https://www.devguru.com/content/technologies/wsh/wshnetwork-enumnetworkdrives.html

    Powershell will probably be even more compact. 

    Regarding the server: I'm also in the eternal process of replacing it... Maybe I WON'T tell the managers that its conflict with 2004 has a workaround, after all :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T16:17:19+00:00

    Thanks AndreaRiva1. An amazing find. One main issue I have is that I have over 150 computers to do this to once I get them on 2004.  

    I elected to put all the reg deletions at the head of the logon script.  That way the map command below it will run OK. To make sure it removes them after the MAP commands run I also put it at the bottom of the script.  So elegant! NOT!  

    Oddly enough, it appears the the second REG DELETE command at the bottom fails because the TOP set of commands has deleted it.  I thought the keys and values were created from the results of the MAP commands?   Does. Not. Make. Sense. 

    It seems to work.  I reran the old script on multiple boots to get the problem to rear it's ugly head, then ran the modified script to make sure it cleared it up.  Looks like it does.  

    I have about 150 PCs that use mapping to this server, many of those with multiple users.  Using a startup script on the systems didn't seem the best way to go.

    I WILL have to deal with people who have added drive mappings manually to other resources on the server, as well as people not at this site who connect over the WAN.  Jeez, this is gonna be fun  😜

    I've been trying to get this server replaced for 10 years.  The last 2 years it's been budgeted and then cancelled.  I guess the thinking is if a 17 year old OS isn't broken then it doesn't need fixing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T14:47:04+00:00

    This helped me, thank you.  Shares that were being mapped were on Server 2019.

    I had already NET USE * /DELETE /YES persistent: yes

    What resolved the issue for me was to remove persistent: yes

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments