Windows 11 File Explorer address and menu bars invisible

Anonymous
2024-01-26T20:39:51+00:00

Suddenly on one of my Windows 11 Pro systems at home the address bar and menu bar became invisible. They were there and responded to mouse clicks and I could type in the address bar. But they are invisible. The problem existed whether signed in to the console session or an RDP session.

Also, in File Explorer and on the desktop when I right clicked, the menu window appeared but was blank. I could move the cursor through it and see a change and get submenus to open but of course they too were blank. I clicked on these menus and they responded with the appropriate response depending on where the cursor was when clicked.

I tried playing with themes, display properties, I've run SFC /scannow and DISM (with the restorehealth option). The first SFC found corruption and said it fixed it. Subsequent runs have found no problems. The last thing I did was do a Reset (keeping files). Nothing I've done has made any difference.

My account has admin rights on the system. I tried signing in with another account which also has admin rights and for this account the bars weren't invisible but simply not there. I then signed out of the other account and signed back in as myself. Much to my surprise the bars are now gone for me as well! This had not happened despite multiple reboots and all else that I had done. Only after signing in with the other account and then back in as myself. I rebooted but no change.

Any ideas how to fix this one system?

Jonathan

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-01T23:54:11+00:00

    I have the same problem on my old laptop with windows 11 pro, for my it the graphics driver, not being able to get the right driver, laptop to old for windows 11, tyr a different graphics driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-10T04:22:40+00:00

    This one worked for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-10T04:35:52+00:00

    I can’t even uninstall last update. It greyed out.

    Please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-15T20:42:41+00:00

    I have the same issue. I'm really missing the back and up buttons, as well as the address bar. The update mentioned is not available to de-install, so any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-15T21:00:52+00:00

    Well, I just gave Vivetool a try, successfully.

    It is an external tool that, amongst things, can be used to enable certain features in Windows. The tool is available on github. The files from the zip-file need to be extracted to the system32 folder. After that, you can re-enable the bar via the command prompt (with administrative privileges) using the command "vivetool /enable /id:40950262". Reboot and done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments