Windows 11 File Explorer address and menu bars invisible

Anonymous
2024-01-26T20:39:51+00:00

Suddenly on one of my Windows 11 Pro systems at home the address bar and menu bar became invisible. They were there and responded to mouse clicks and I could type in the address bar. But they are invisible. The problem existed whether signed in to the console session or an RDP session.

Also, in File Explorer and on the desktop when I right clicked, the menu window appeared but was blank. I could move the cursor through it and see a change and get submenus to open but of course they too were blank. I clicked on these menus and they responded with the appropriate response depending on where the cursor was when clicked.

I tried playing with themes, display properties, I've run SFC /scannow and DISM (with the restorehealth option). The first SFC found corruption and said it fixed it. Subsequent runs have found no problems. The last thing I did was do a Reset (keeping files). Nothing I've done has made any difference.

My account has admin rights on the system. I tried signing in with another account which also has admin rights and for this account the bars weren't invisible but simply not there. I then signed out of the other account and signed back in as myself. Much to my surprise the bars are now gone for me as well! This had not happened despite multiple reboots and all else that I had done. Only after signing in with the other account and then back in as myself. I rebooted but no change.

Any ideas how to fix this one system?

Jonathan

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-29T10:17:37+00:00

    This fixed my Address Bar problem but I still can't do searches based on key attributes, like modified date, created date, etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-29T16:01:32+00:00

    I'm glad it worked for you. Unfortunately, that didn't help me. Even after wiping and reloading I'm still stuck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-29T16:03:19+00:00

    I tried that but it didn't help in my case. A nuke and pave didn't help either. There must be something aboout this particular hardware. It's not used much as a secondary system so I'm putting up with it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-01T22:36:09+00:00

    any solution for this problem? really desperate for solutions.

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-01T23:53:19+00:00

    Did uninstalling update KB5036980 not work for you?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments