KB5034123 is impossible

Anonymous
2024-01-10T11:19:24+00:00

I can't get this latest update to install even from the manual download and the safe mode. I've been using MS OS before Windows was launched, and every Win version since.  Some things seem never to change.  I don't want to iterate all the fixes I've tried but I can assure you I have. I don't code anymore - not take I could fix it - but I would probably class myself as an occasional power user.

It stalls at 70% EVERY time. I tried almost everything detailed on MS web resources (I'm sure there are some obscure solutions promulgated, but not for me) and just tried a manual download (that works) and a Safe Mode install (that failed).

Windows 11 seems to work just fine. All my apps launch and run OK, but this update is a complete failure at this point.

Does anyone have an authoritative answer from MS that works?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-08T05:18:20+00:00

    Same here. The KB5034123 installs no oproblem. But then...the computer almost disabled. The mouse clicks, left and right, dln't work, the screen goes black and nothingf works. Have to push the power button to turn the computer off. Only way out is to resteore an "image," thanks goodness for that. Without that the machine would be DEAD. Have found no way to STOP: this terrible KB5034123 from coming back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-05T03:48:43+00:00

    I had to ultimately roll back to the earliest 11 version then I deleted all the old download files After that I downloaded as you did and I started the download immediately and it set up like a charm. I don’t know whether the older downloads mattered but I just wanted nothing in the folder except the 11 23. I have left my machine to NOT do automatic updates. I will just wait if any show up and see if there are issues before I allow the update. This was really a time consuming and frustrating process that I don’t want to revisit. Especially at tax time - lol!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T21:12:07+00:00

    Derek,

    Obviously, you totally missed the point. Even as an experience person in technology, MS Updates cause us problems which 'even we' can't resolved. Good luck to a neophyte.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T06:51:24+00:00

    Cliff,

    I've been in technology since the mid-70's. I've owned a networking company for 15 years and a computer consulting firm for almost 10 years. I've owned a website development firm for 22 years now. I do have a fairly strong grasp of computer technology.

    But what Microsoft does with their updates is simply dumbfounding. While most updates work flawlessly, every year or two, you'll find one that causes havoc with systems. In my case with this update, it was that upon rebooting and logging, in the screen blinked constantly, actually refreshing as I couldn't click into anything. I consider this a major boondoggle. Fortunately, I have learned that before you install a KB update or a Windows OS update, ALWAY, and I mean, ALWAYS, created a restore point. It only takes a couple minutes but it can save your butt when the **** hits the wall, display wall. LOL

    Amazing. All those years you peacocked, and you didn't even give him a useful answer. Backing up has nothing to do with updates not working. Boondoggle your way outta here

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T21:09:40+00:00

    Cliff,

    I've been in technology since the mid-70's. I've owned a networking company for 15 years and a computer consulting firm for almost 10 years. I've owned a website development firm for 22 years now. I do have a fairly strong grasp of computer technology.

    But what Microsoft does with their updates is simply dumbfounding. While most updates work flawlessly, every year or two, you'll find one that causes havoc with systems. In my case with this update, it was that upon rebooting and logging, in the screen blinked constantly, actually refreshing as I couldn't click into anything. I consider this a major boondoggle. Fortunately, I have learned that before you install a KB update or a Windows OS update, ALWAY, and I mean, ALWAYS, created a restore point. It only takes a couple minutes but it can save your butt when the **** hits the wall, display wall. LOL

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments