Unable to install 2024-01 Cumulative Updates for Windows 11

Anonymous
2024-01-14T16:59:03+00:00

I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.

But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:

  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)

What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?

I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).

Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.

Many thanks,

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T01:33:02+00:00

    just through the normal check for updates

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T02:05:09+00:00

    Has Microsoft responded to this issue? I don't see an authenticated response on this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T02:26:55+00:00

    No, Microsoft did not reply to me. It would be speculation on my part to guess why the update finally succeeded.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-22T19:41:37+00:00

    To save everyones time. Chatted w/MS support reg. 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123) Error: 0x80070020 on my thinkpad t490. update crashes every time.

    "Thanks for patiently waiting. As per asking from our higher team support, the issue is still ongoing in regards with Windows Update but you do not have to do anything yet on your computer to update Windows. Once the issue is fix your Windows update will go through successfully.

    For now, since you can still use your computer. I suggest not to do any update yet and rest assured that this will get fix as soon as possible because our Engineering Team is now resolving the issue. What I will be doing also here on my end is to give you an update in regards with this from time to time so that you will be aware on what is happening.

    "

    at least MS$ seems to be aware. haha

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-22T23:40:52+00:00

    I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.

    But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:

    • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
    • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)

    What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?

    I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).

    Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.

    Many thanks,

    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. In order to resolve this error do the following:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments