Unable to install 2024-01 Cumulative Updates for Windows 11

Anonymous
2024-01-14T16:59:03+00:00

I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.

But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:

  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)

What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?

I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).

Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.

Many thanks,

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T23:42:55+00:00

    Glad it worked for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-19T02:38:03+00:00

    Did this too. Still didnt work. Tried through Windows Update and by downloading the update file from Microsoft as well. All failed.

    Sometimes in Windows Update it fails from DOWNLOAD ERROR, and sometimes it downloads but the install fails.

    MS Lives support walked me through the in-place upgrade and that failed. Had the same issue when trying to install update from 22h to 23h. Ultimately had to do a clean install, so this is the clean install and only a month out I'm having this issue again. My work locks me out of my emails if I'm not fully updated. This is a nightmare with no end.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-19T14:31:48+00:00

    After giving up on this issue for a few days (or has it been a week? hard to keep track now that my college semester has started)-- I decided to give the ISO fix another try, but no dice for me.

    Received a Windows 11 has failed to install type of message--same as last time unfortunately.

    The recent Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender worked, but 22H2 is stuck in limbo.

    It's almost funny looking through the update history in the Settings panel, and seeing all of the "failed to install" messages for the two cumulative updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-19T19:50:30+00:00

    If you have a usb that has at least 8gb of storage that you are willing to wipe I would recommend creating a backup of any important data that you have (One Drive, Google Drive, physical storage) and perform a clean installation of Windows 11 23H2. If this is not something you are willing to do than wait for Microsoft’s official solution. Let me know if this works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-19T20:00:34+00:00

    I'll probably wait.
    Already went through the process of reinstalling all my software last year (due to a freakish hard-drive issue that's thankfully resolved now).

    Not really willing to go through that again, lol.

    I appreciate it, though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments