Unable to install 2024-01 Cumulative Updates for Windows 11

Anonymous
2024-01-14T16:59:03+00:00

I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.

But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:

  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)

What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?

I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).

Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.

Many thanks,

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-14T18:03:51+00:00

    Hi, I'm Elise, a fellow user like yourself and I'd be happy to help with your issue.

    I would next recommend using the SFC tool to try and repair the issue.

    For steps on how to use this tool, please see here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/topic/79aa86cb-ca...

    If this still doesn’t resolve the issue then try a repair upgrade using these instructions:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

    Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

    Kind Regards,

    Elise

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-14T20:46:42+00:00

    I have the same issue and have run the troubleshooter and retried multiple times - turned off all virus protection (shutting them down completely - not just a soft turn off). Still fails with same error of "0x800f081f". The solution presented below does not appear to be related to this issue although I tried it anyway. Does anyone else have this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-14T22:42:46+00:00

    Unfortunately, both methods have not worked.

    I tried using the SFC tool--it did fix some corrupt files--but no luck getting the updates to install.

    Then I tried doing the repair upgrade, but both attempts resulted in a message saying Windows 11 failed to install or something to that order (I forget the exact wording).

    At this point, I'm assuming it's an issue with the update itself--so maybe a future patch produced by Microsoft will work better?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-14T23:02:21+00:00

    Yes that is possible as they are cumulative updates a future update may supersede these.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-15T02:07:26+00:00

    I'm having the same issue with regard to the update failing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments