Unable to install 2024-01 Cumulative Updates for Windows 11

Anonymous
2024-01-14T16:59:03+00:00

I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.

But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:

  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)

What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?

I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).

Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.

Many thanks,

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-19T02:38:03+00:00

    Did this too. Still didnt work. Tried through Windows Update and by downloading the update file from Microsoft as well. All failed.

    Sometimes in Windows Update it fails from DOWNLOAD ERROR, and sometimes it downloads but the install fails.

    MS Lives support walked me through the in-place upgrade and that failed. Had the same issue when trying to install update from 22h to 23h. Ultimately had to do a clean install, so this is the clean install and only a month out I'm having this issue again. My work locks me out of my emails if I'm not fully updated. This is a nightmare with no end.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T23:42:55+00:00

    Glad it worked for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T20:48:39+00:00

    I have the same issue also; I think Microsoft had their Head up their butt again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T19:48:31+00:00

    It wasn't that hard and didn't even require a usb, you just open the iso and run the installer, and yes it is up to Microsoft to fix the problem but this is a quick fix found by the community.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T18:20:34+00:00

    So what I did essentially bipassed the update by essentially reinstalling Windows with the latest updates while keeping all of my apps and files but it was more like an upgrade than a reinstallation and was fairly quick. If you want to fix the issue now than do it my way, if you want to wait for Microsoft to roll out fixed updates than do that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments