Unable to install 2024-01 Cumulative Updates for Windows 11

Anonymous
2024-01-14T16:59:03+00:00

I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.

But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:

  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)

What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?

I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).

Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.

Many thanks,

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-27T18:51:09+00:00

    So this is a common error in cumulative updates of windows 11 not on my laptop or my windows copy???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-27T13:18:54+00:00

    Unfortunately, this is still an issue. After seeing a successful update completed, I assumed the update was corrected. Now I’m back to “square one.” Hopefully Microsoft can figure out their update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-27T05:42:12+00:00

    Is this still an issue as I haven't been able to update mine either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T19:41:48+00:00

    I have encountered the same issue with this

    2024-01 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034204)

    on my Dell gaming g5 15 5500 laptop.

    after downloading and the laptop restart to complete, message appears with ' something didn't go as planned. No need to worry- undoing changes. please keep your computer on.

    after that the windows open normally and ask for downloading and installing this update again??!!!!

    is there any solution for this problem?

    many thanks in advance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-22T23:40:52+00:00

    I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.

    But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:

    • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
    • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)

    What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?

    I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).

    Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.

    Many thanks,

    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. In order to resolve this error do the following:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments