Unable to install 2024-01 Cumulative Updates for Windows 11

Anonymous
2024-01-14T16:59:03+00:00

I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.

But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:

  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)

What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?

I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).

Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.

Many thanks,

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-19T14:31:48+00:00

    After giving up on this issue for a few days (or has it been a week? hard to keep track now that my college semester has started)-- I decided to give the ISO fix another try, but no dice for me.

    Received a Windows 11 has failed to install type of message--same as last time unfortunately.

    The recent Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender worked, but 22H2 is stuck in limbo.

    It's almost funny looking through the update history in the Settings panel, and seeing all of the "failed to install" messages for the two cumulative updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T23:42:55+00:00

    Glad it worked for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T19:48:31+00:00

    It wasn't that hard and didn't even require a usb, you just open the iso and run the installer, and yes it is up to Microsoft to fix the problem but this is a quick fix found by the community.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T18:20:34+00:00

    So what I did essentially bipassed the update by essentially reinstalling Windows with the latest updates while keeping all of my apps and files but it was more like an upgrade than a reinstallation and was fairly quick. If you want to fix the issue now than do it my way, if you want to wait for Microsoft to roll out fixed updates than do that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T18:16:42+00:00

    I was able to install it just fine, I didn’t even have to use a usb I just opened the iso and ran the installer an everything was smooth sailing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments