Unable to install 2024-01 Cumulative Updates for Windows 11

Anonymous
2024-01-14T16:59:03+00:00

I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.

But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:

  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)

What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?

I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).

Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.

Many thanks,

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-14T22:42:46+00:00

    Unfortunately, both methods have not worked.

    I tried using the SFC tool--it did fix some corrupt files--but no luck getting the updates to install.

    Then I tried doing the repair upgrade, but both attempts resulted in a message saying Windows 11 failed to install or something to that order (I forget the exact wording).

    At this point, I'm assuming it's an issue with the update itself--so maybe a future patch produced by Microsoft will work better?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-16T16:48:43+00:00

    Thank you but I don't think that is the issue for me. I already have Windows 11 up through all the prior updates to the 2024-1. In reviewing online, it appears that there is an issue with the actual package that was rolled out. I'm waiting for them to roll out a corrected package. There are literally hundreds of online threads about this update not working. Originally they thought it was because of one issue - and Microsoft sent out instructions yesterday for how to fix that is so complicated even developers had a fit about it. It was requiring customers to go into settings they should not touch unless they have a LOT of experience and have totally backed up their system. After that caused such a ruckus with experienced developers, it appears Microsoft has backed up and gone silent on this update. Thank you so much for looking into this and I'm glad that this problem was resolved for you! So far I haven't seen anything from Microsoft that says the 23 update is the fix. Now that they have ended up with folks getting partial updates with the failed package, the problem has become more complicated. Again - glad this worked for you but I'm going to wait until I see some more input from the developer community because I've already spent hours trying to roll back and get my computer working again. I'm still having issues with lag which means there is no doubt some underlying piece of c**p code that has lingered from the failed install. :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-16T14:07:12+00:00

    I have found the solution, I also had this problem and what I discovered was that we were supposed to get an update to Windows 11 23H2, but it never got rolled out so when the 2024 update came out it was looking for Windows 11 23H2 so when it couldn't find it, it spat out an error.

    This is actually a very common issue, and I am going to help everyone I can with this.

    Follow these steps:

    1. go to Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com) and install the ISO for Windows 11 23H2.
    2. Open the ISO and let it download the ISO updates.
    3. Make sure you have selected keep all apps and files. (This is just like the upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 except don't worry if your device isn't supported it should still let you perform the upgrade because my computer also is not supported, and it installed fine)
    4. Click install and let it perform the upgrade.
    5. Once it is done go to settings -> Windows Update -> check for updates You now should have successfully upgraded.

    If you want a video, you can watch this official video from Microsoft: How to perform a Windows 11 In-place upgrade | Microsoft - YouTube

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-15T02:07:26+00:00

    I'm having the same issue with regard to the update failing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-14T20:46:42+00:00

    I have the same issue and have run the troubleshooter and retried multiple times - turned off all virus protection (shutting them down completely - not just a soft turn off). Still fails with same error of "0x800f081f". The solution presented below does not appear to be related to this issue although I tried it anyway. Does anyone else have this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments