How to import photos onto PC and not onto OneDrive

Anonymous
2024-01-19T01:05:17+00:00

I'm using Windows 11.

When I plug in my phone it opens the Photos app. But when I hit "import", the only location option is to download photos into a OneDrive folder. I don't have enough space on OneDrive for the photos. If I try to proceed anyways, it freezes my computer. I just want to download photos locally onto my PC so that I can move them to an external hard drive. Please help!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-23T05:17:39+00:00

    No gunsht is right, you do exactly what he says on the left in the "folders" section. When you left click "Folders" it lets you "create" a new folder from your desktop or external hard drive. That way when you go to click "important" the new folder you made on your desktop or hard drive is a non one drive downloadable option location. Worked for me. Why someone named gunshot knows more than Microsoft is wild.

    Yes , this worked just right click on the folder icon create new folder on your local system path. And while selecting Add Photos make sure you are selecting the newly created folder. This worked for me. Microsoft smartly puts one drive option just to make users to pay extra for One drive storage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-03T00:05:58+00:00

    I do not own a cell phone, I have a Lexar USB 3.0 external device that I have used for years to down load my photos from my camera video card. How do I down load my photo when I keep getting the message to use Microsoft Photos and I am unwilling and unable to do so. This stinks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-09T23:37:31+00:00

    Literally saved me time and money, thank you so much! -Luke

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-23T01:20:33+00:00

    Apparently not even that workes anymore. I just got a new laptop November 2024. I keep adding a new folder under my photos on the computer, making sure it's completely outside of onedrive (even though it keeps trying to make it a onedrive and I keep having to click off of it). Then when I go to download my photos, it has that very same folder I made, now listed as a onedrive cloud folder anyway.

    This is really pissing me off. I just bought a very expensive computer, partly so I could dump my hundreds of GB of media onto it off of my phone. And it's seriously not letting me do it? I MUST buy a monthly subscription to ANOTHER thing just to have my things function? No way!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-24T19:37:35+00:00

    I'm glad I'm not the only one. Dar S. Greyowlridge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments