How to import photos onto PC and not onto OneDrive

Anonymous
2024-01-19T01:05:17+00:00

I'm using Windows 11.

When I plug in my phone it opens the Photos app. But when I hit "import", the only location option is to download photos into a OneDrive folder. I don't have enough space on OneDrive for the photos. If I try to proceed anyways, it freezes my computer. I just want to download photos locally onto my PC so that I can move them to an external hard drive. Please help!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-27T16:58:54+00:00

    The whole point of the question is that the new import window DOES NOT allow selecting a new destination file the way that it used to. The only options are located in OneDrive. Beyond creating a new subfolder in OneDrive, there is no way to select a new destination. The problem with just copying files is that it doesn't usually migrate with the same date and time identifiers that comes with the images when importing the photos.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-27T18:33:52+00:00

    Yes, this is the issue I’m having. Would love to remove Onedrive as the option to upload my photos!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-07T14:55:24+00:00

    Unfortunately, I have the same issue. It will allow me to "create" another folder, but when import is selected, it will only allow me to select a OneDrive folder for the final destination (not the folder I created on my machine). IDK

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-23T05:17:39+00:00

    No gunsht is right, you do exactly what he says on the left in the "folders" section. When you left click "Folders" it lets you "create" a new folder from your desktop or external hard drive. That way when you go to click "important" the new folder you made on your desktop or hard drive is a non one drive downloadable option location. Worked for me. Why someone named gunshot knows more than Microsoft is wild.

    Yes , this worked just right click on the folder icon create new folder on your local system path. And while selecting Add Photos make sure you are selecting the newly created folder. This worked for me. Microsoft smartly puts one drive option just to make users to pay extra for One drive storage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-06T21:55:56+00:00

    Thank you! Photos, photo viewer are a pain @ times!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments