Win 10 2004 chkdsk stuck on 100%

Anonymous
2020-09-09T18:19:27+00:00

I have run chkdsk as admin as I thought I may have some network file errors.

It ran OK and now is stuck displaying "scanning and repairing drive (C:): 100%

How should this be fixed please

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 936.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2020-09-09T18:22:40+00:00

Hi Phil

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

if that disk checking has completed to 100%, then if you cannot interact with your PC, press and hold the power button on your PC for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a hard shut down

Wait a few seconds, then start your PC again . . .

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-30T06:07:48+00:00

    I've the same problem.

    My O.S. is Windows 10 PRO version 2004 build 19041.508.

    From "Windows PowerShell (administrator)" I ran the command: chkdsk c: /f /r /spotfix

    Since this is unit "C", the check is performed on restart.

    So, I restart my computer, but the disk check process, after phase 5, remains in the "Scanning and repairing drive (C:) 100% complete" state.

    I found the same problem in two different computers, however, both having Samsung SSD disks (although different models).

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-14T07:44:15+00:00

    (correction) Try run chkdsk /f from Command prompt mode (Shift+restart).

    In my opinion, due to some error, it is not possible to end the command correctly, therefore it stuck on 100%.

    1. Go to safe mode:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

    1. (correction) Go to Command prompt mode through Shift+restart
    2. (correction) Check the correct letter of your system boot HDD, because in this Command prompt mode the letters of the HDD are different ( c: Enter , dir Enter, d: Enter, dir Enter, e: Enter, dir Enter ...etc.)
    3. Run the command for correct letter of your system boot HDD , for example chkdsk e: /f
    4. Make sure the command doesn't end with an error message. If it reports an error, search it on google, microsoft...etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-14T16:58:29+00:00

    Hi, thanks for your reply!

    My two SSD drives seem to have no problems anyway.

    I try to explain myself.

    When the process stuck at 100%, I have to reboot (or shut down) the computer brutally (= manually). Once restarted, I check the Windows Event Viewer, in particular under Wininit, to verify anyway the results of the chkdsk: everything is regular and no problem is detected or needs corrections.

    I'll try from safe mode anyway.

    Even after the October monthly update the problem persists in two of the three computers at my disposal ... (both having Samsung SSD disks).

    Cheers!

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-15T21:36:36+00:00

    (correction) Try it from Command prompt mode and attach the results list. I have experience that we will learn more about the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments