I have run chkdsk as admin as I thought I may have some network file errors.
It ran OK and now is stuck displaying "scanning and repairing drive (C:): 100%
How should this be fixed please
Also applies to situations where you sometimes get the error message "Error A7 ME FW Downgrade Request ME Spilock failed"
I posted questions regarding this issue on other forums, and since I have figured out the answer (at least in my case, but I can see how the same kind of situation can happen elsewhere), am posting my notes here FWIF, and to payback to the community.
TL;DR - short answer: It was due to weird corner case timing issues or interference with USB communications that prevents normal communication of the OS and low level BIOS system resulting in hung situation. If it can't be fixed by modifying CMOS/ UEFI settings or physical connections, treat it as false positive and live with it.
In my particular case, one of the USB connectors was used (when the Think M900 Tiny cpu unit was housed inside the LCD monitor) to transmit a huge amount of information: it even enabled CMOS settings via a wireless keyboard/ mouse (!). No wonder this level of complexity brought such unusual error messages.
The error disappeared when the M900 Tiny cpu unit was taken outside the LCD casing - thus pinpointing the culprit.
Long pre answer and things I did before finding the culprit and solution
Also on Reddit
www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/nc8pfp/windows_10_pro_scanning_and_repairing_drive_c_100/
lenovo samsung nvme " scanning and repairing drive (c:) 100% complete" hanging at startup and at times
Error A7 ME FW Downgrade Request ME Spilock failed
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-2004-chkdsk-stuck-on-100/dbee1aa6-91f4-4405-9e13-ce17198833b0?page=2
It only does this to me on LENOVO laptops....on 3pcs.
Please confirm that the error only affects Lenovo laptops...thank You.
Well, this has me annoyed no end ... as this is a machine my wife uses for her teaching work, AND I'm her de facto tech support. I do have a decent laptop backup PC that I can hook up to her monitor/ webcam etc, BUT she has programs installed on her main PC that would be a pain to reinstall.
DETAILS of all I've found so far, hopefully someone can make good use of this info.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Happens on a Lenovo M900* which really is a laptop system in a micro box format- using Samsung NVMe 256 SSD - latest 20H2 OS version - stuck at 100% and Samsung Magician reports temp too high 56d after a hard reboot .
Running a disk check from within Windows didn't report any errors.
But it will hang on doing a disk check from within Windows that requires a reboot. WIth a 100% complete staying on the screen forever, so needs a hard reboot.
I've replaced all USB dongles, no more wireless mouse/ keybd -TBH I was surprised to see that with a wireless Logitech combo mouse/ kbd USB, I WAS able to stop the PC at boot time and getto the CMOS setup.
This points to a possible timing glitch with all the USB ports, ALSO to note that this M900 micro PC is used inside the custom Lenovo LCD screen with presumably USB like contacts to connect the touch LCD, video cam and speaker of that LCD.
Now the good thing with this M900 I have both a NVMe and a WD SATA drive , and I can dual boot them at startup F12.
Never any issue with the WD hard drive, maybe b/c it is slower .. and not upgraded to last Win 20H2.
Another issue with the NVMe system, it sometimes froze after being left standing for a while. Needs a hard reboot to get going.
AND, using AOMEI backupper, it FAILS doing a system backup. To be safe, I backed up that NVMe partition from the WD mechanical hard drive, knowing full well that backing up only the partition w/o the startup bootsrap info it's not a sure thing making it functional.
Finally: at some point it had the 100% scan done, and bang! continued fine to Windows - at other times, it went BLANK (black, really) with NOTHING happening, not even any lights on the USB keyboard, meaning it hadn't gotten to the basic classic CMOS level yet.
And Finally (2): a couple times it flashed briefly that message before going on to a normal boot:
"(A7) Me PW Downgrade -Request MeSpiLock Failed"
Perusing the interwebs I found these
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ht/000138945/latitude-7275-how-to-resolve-the-a7-me-downgrade-request-mespilock-failed-post-error
The Lenovo has its latest BIOS installed 4/21/2021
I have also tried some BIOS setup variations, esp delays on USB etc.
This one from HP indicates it could be something complicated re the BIOS / UEFI system
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/A7-Me-FW-Downgrade-Request-MeSpiLock-Failed/td-p/7286364
The NVMe SSD is a GPT, trying to set the Boot to Legacy only now works great, except it's now on the SATA mechanical drive OS.
All in all a little (very) frustrating, so many points of failure/ glitches. Could be wrong timing /expectations of USB booting, lost connections, phantom settings...
(*) Description of system, a nice piece of engineering, maybe pushing the limits with its integration in custom made with USB/ power connections LCD/ webcam/ speaker
Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 Tiny Desktop Micro Tower PC (Intel Core i5-6500T, WiFi etc)
Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny-in-One Gen 3 1080p 23" IPS Touch Monitor, Black
I added the pictures so you can see how the unit once mounted now has many cables and buttons moved to the LCD screen. Since it's probably via a combo of USB and Displayport connections, no wonder there are glitches.