Win 10 2004 chkdsk stuck on 100%

Anonymous
2020-09-09T18:19:27+00:00

I have run chkdsk as admin as I thought I may have some network file errors.

It ran OK and now is stuck displaying "scanning and repairing drive (C:): 100%

How should this be fixed please

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 936.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2020-09-09T18:22:40+00:00

Hi Phil

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

if that disk checking has completed to 100%, then if you cannot interact with your PC, press and hold the power button on your PC for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a hard shut down

Wait a few seconds, then start your PC again . . .

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-03T15:54:15+00:00

    We are always waiting for a solution about the "chkdsk stuck" problem...

    For now we only got the chkdsk bug (20H2) that destroyed the partitions (I lost 4TB of data): when will Microsoft solve the chkdsk problems?

    G.Comparini

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-22T07:26:16+00:00

    Hello everyone!

    I must unfortunately add that updating Windows to version 20H2 did not solve the situation.

    I previously contacted Microsoft support and they told me they opened a ticket about it. Was it enough? I don't know ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-22T06:07:01+00:00

    ATTENTION, I wrote it wrong, not through Safe Mode but through Command prompt! It is not the same.

    Forgive me everyone.  I send the photo....You get there via Shift + restart.

    Keep in mind, drive C: in this Command prompt mode not the same as normal boot drive C: ! After restarting into this Command prompt, the letters of the drives are usually shifted.  The right normal booting system drive letter C: is one of these ->  D: E: F: G: H: I: or X: Y: Z: , it depends on how many disks and partitions are created in the system.

    Try running chkdsk / f in Command prompt mode for all possible drives sequentially .. for example chkdsk d: / f, chkdsk e: / f, chkdsk f: / f, chkdsk g: / f, chkdsk h: / f, chkdsk i: / f,  chkdsk x: / f, chkdsk y: / f, chkdsk z: / f. Feel free to go through the whole alphabet, because various hidden partitions will behave like drives in this Command prompt mode.

    Look for the error at the end of the listing. If you find an error message ("not possible", "warning"...etc.), attach the print screen. I hope, You can find the bug.

    Thank for the details.

    I confirm that from command prompt chkdsk /f worked properly, no error found on the partition, the last message is:

    " Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 6."

    Do you have any other suggestion?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-21T23:31:21+00:00

    ATTENTION, I wrote it wrong, not through Safe Mode but through Command prompt! It is not the same.

    Forgive me everyone.  I send the photo....You get there via Shift + restart.

    Keep in mind, drive C: in this Command prompt mode not the same as normal boot drive C: ! After restarting into this Command prompt, the letters of the drives are usually shifted.  The right normal booting system drive letter C: is one of these ->  D: E: F: G: H: I: or X: Y: Z: , it depends on how many disks and partitions are created in the system.

    Try running chkdsk / f in Command prompt mode for all possible drives sequentially .. for example chkdsk d: / f, chkdsk e: / f, chkdsk f: / f, chkdsk g: / f, chkdsk h: / f, chkdsk i: / f,  chkdsk x: / f, chkdsk y: / f, chkdsk z: / f. Feel free to go through the whole alphabet, because various hidden partitions will behave like drives in this Command prompt mode.

    Look for the error at the end of the listing. If you find an error message ("not possible", "warning"...etc.), attach the print screen. I hope, You can find the bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments