Win 10 2004 chkdsk stuck on 100%

Anonymous
2020-09-09T18:19:27+00:00

I have run chkdsk as admin as I thought I may have some network file errors.

It ran OK and now is stuck displaying "scanning and repairing drive (C:): 100%

How should this be fixed please

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 936.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2020-09-09T18:22:40+00:00

Hi Phil

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

if that disk checking has completed to 100%, then if you cannot interact with your PC, press and hold the power button on your PC for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a hard shut down

Wait a few seconds, then start your PC again . . .

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-26T13:00:24+00:00

    Windows 10 dell

    My laptop stuck at scanning and repairing drive c 100% complete

    It is struck from past 1 hr not opening what to do?

    You may have no choice but to press and hold the power button on the laptop until it shuts down....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-26T12:51:06+00:00

    Windows 10 dell

    My laptop stuck at scanning and repairing drive c 100% complete

    It is struck from past 1 hr not opening what to do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-08T00:38:53+00:00

    Win10 (updated with the latest version) does the same thing to my system from time to time.

    I have two SSD's:
    A fast Samsung NVMe drive (PCIe 4 compatible) to boot from
    A slow Crucial 2TB NVMe storage drive running off an adapter plugged into the miniPCIe slot and running at SATA3 speeds (because the board only has one M.2 socket).

    This seems to be an NVMe related problem as I don't recall it happening with a SATA SSD or mechanical drive?

    The system itself is an AMD Ryzen 7 1700x with 16GB of memory and a fast graphics card. The motherboard is from Asus and uses a B450 (PCIe V3) chipset.

    I assumed MS would eventually fix what appears to be a bug... but it seems to continue occurring? Thus worth reporting?

    The bug doesn't seem to damage anything and scanning a drive from time to time shouldn't hurt it? It is a bit time consuming and inconvenient when it happens... as even with a fast drive it still takes a few minutes to finish the scan?

    I'm about to upgrade the board to PCIe V4 (X570 chipset) to allow both drives to run at full speed (2x M.2 sockets running at full speed)... but I doubt that will have any impact on the problem?

    I've always wondered if the system was still scanning the storage drive (a much larger drive) when this happens... but there is no disk activity... so I think it's unlikely. Also I've left the system alone for a while to see if it resets itself eventually... but it shows no signs of doing so.

    The system seems to suffer no permanent damage from this problem?

    The computer is being shut down correctly prior to the scan being initiated.

    The computer power goes through a double conversion UPS which should mean it's very well protected from spikes and other power gremlins (the cause of many unexplained errors). The house power is also filtered further at the mains.... so the power is unusually clean.

    :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-09-27T02:33:48+00:00

    Hi, thanks for your reply!
    My two SSD drives seem to have no problems anyway.
    I try to explain myself.
    When the process stuck at 100%, I have to reboot (or shut down) the computer brutally (= manually). Once restarted, I check the Windows Event Viewer, in particular under Wininit, to verify anyway the results of the chkdsk: everything is regular and no problem is detected or needs corrections.
    I'll try from safe mode anyway.
    Even after the October monthly update the problem persists in two of the three computers at my disposal ... (both having Samsung SSD disks).

    Cheers!

    yes, I have the same problem.

    my computer is Thinkpad X1 ThinkPad X1 Carbon 8th

    os is windows 10 21H1 version number is 19043.1237

    ID my hd is SAMSUNG MZVLB512HBJQ-000L7

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments