Windows Update will not work after Windows 10 2004 (OS Build 19041.450) update

Anonymous
2020-09-22T13:00:25+00:00

After upgrading PCs to the Windows 10 2004 build, Windows Update is giving the following message:  We couldn't connect to the update service.  We'll try again later, or you can check now.  If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet.

 I'm seeing these types of entries in the WindowsUpdate Log:

*FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156831 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156857 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156873 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156901 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Failed to resolve federated serviceId 855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156938 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Failed to execute service registration call {50E333F9-D535-4CDA-801E-F517D254AE95} (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.1.0.1)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4157054 6468  3848  IdleTimer       WU operation (SR.Update;ScanForUpdates ID 41, operation # 203) stopped; does use network; is not at background priority

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4368886 5892  7064  ComApi          * END *   Federated Search failed to process service registration, hr=0x80248014 (cV = BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.1.0)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4400323 5892  6244  ComApi          * START *   Federated Search ClientId = Update;ScanForUpdates (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.2.0)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4408406 6468  6492  IdleTimer       WU operation (SR.Update;ScanForUpdates ID 42) started; operation # 208; does use network; is not at background priority

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409456 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409477 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409489 6468  3848  Agent           Processing auto/pending service registrations and recovery.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4505669 6468  3848  SLS             Get response for service 9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77 - forceExpire[False] asyncRefreshOnExpiry[False]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4505711 6468  3848  SLS             path used for cache lookup: /SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4506188 6468  3848  SLS             Retrieving SLS response from server...

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4512418 6468  3848  SLS             Making request with URL HTTPS://slscr.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470 and send SLS events.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.6960634 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:36.6960687 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.9283262 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:36.9283327 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:0

2020/09/21 15:14:37.1717158 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.1717212 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:37.4307260 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.4307329 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:1

2020/09/21 15:14:37.6832104 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.6832156 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:37.9328046 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.9328117 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:2

2020/09/21 15:14:38.1681970 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:38.1682041 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163067 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163144 6468  3848  SLS             Complete the request URL HTTPS://slscr.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470 with [80072F8F] and http status code[0] and send SLS events.

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163191 6468  3848  SLS             *FAILED* [80072F8F] GetDownloadedOnWeakSSLCert

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164068 6468  3848  SLS             *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSClient::GetResponse:625]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164115 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSEndpointProvider::GetWUClientData:2275]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164129 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] EP: get client data

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164147 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSEndpointProvider::GetSecondaryServicesEnabledState:1689]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164174 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::DetectAndToggleServiceState:2910]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164214 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Failed to resolve federated serviceId 855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164259 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Failed to execute service registration call {519E9AED-2AC2-4CC5-87C8-6F1E2B991ED5} (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.2.0.1)

Here are some of the troubleshooting steps I’ve done so far that haven’t worked:

  • Sfc /scannow
  • Dism /online /cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • Ran a Windows script to reset/clear Windows update.  Basically stops all the services, renames the WindowsUpdate folders (catroot2 & SoftwareDistribution) and then restarts the services

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

  • Ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter
  • Tried LAN and Wifi connections
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-27T12:11:30+00:00

    This will probably be my last response on here as I've now wrapped things up in my environment regarding this problem.

    Here's the method I use that works every single time (FYI we're using Office Standard 2016);

    1. Apply registry fix
    2. Use cmd prompt and cscript ospp.vbs method to remove whatever random "oem" license Office got reset to
    3. Run in-place reinstall of Windows using iso created by Windows media creation tool
    4. Immediately run another in-place reinstall of Windows (for whatever reason, it takes a second time around to reset whatever it is that's wrong)
    5. Use cmd prompt and cscript ospp.vbs method to add license key back, Office immediately works again
    6. Apply any remaining updates to Windows and Office

    This method works easy enough that I can do it all remotely after hours. Reinstall can be set to run on multiple computers and I can then walk away for a while. This has been a much easier method than having to reimage from scratch, add to domain, reinstall software, etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-19T13:58:37+00:00

    Way back when I first started looking at this problem I thought it was a certificate issue. I even did a full certificate update/reinstall using a cool software tool that pulls down the latest from Microsoft but it made no difference so I think it's not specifically the certs that are the issue but the registry association with them. Maybe a Windows update changed one thing and not the other? Sort of like updating a certificate key but didn't update the registry key associated with it or vise versa?

    I'm still narrowing down what I need to do but so far Office will not pick up the licensing until it gets removed, Windows reinstalled so it fixes "something", and then Office can reinstall again without error and properly license itself. I tried at one point uninstalling and applied the reg key but Office just wouldn't reinstall until I did the in-place Windows reinstall, but only after I applied the corrected registry keys. Otherwise I could do in-place reinstalls all day and Office would still fail.

    However, I did just have a computer I updated this weekend to 2004 that completely lost its license key. Totally gone when I checked using ospp.vbs. I've got a couple computers that I haven't touched that I'll be testing some more things out. After what I just saw this morning there's a slight chance that the latest cumulative update may fix the issue for Office. I'm hope that after that gets installed I can just re-add the license key back and it'll work.

    Will report back with more details as I work through it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,505 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-09-23T15:17:57+00:00

    Thanks for that, let us check with other advisors on what is the best for this, for now let us wait for them

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,505 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-09-23T04:08:08+00:00

    Thanks, and yes that is actually the last thing we can, which is the custom installation/

    Refer to this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,505 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-09-22T13:03:48+00:00

    Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Bernard. I'm a Microsoft Windows expert and a Microsoft Windows fan like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

    I actually have same issue as before and by following the steps provided below fixed my issue, I hope this works for you as well

    I know some methods are already done, but it it better if you follow this step by step:

    First method is to reset the Windows update components using the powershell command below.

    This method will reset the Software distribution folder where the temporary file of update is saved, and re register internet connect as well.

    Open Powershell with Admin or CMD with Admin (Press Windows key + X then click Windows Powershell(Admin))

    Copy each line of command to Powershell then press enter (one line at a time)

    net stop bits

    net stop wuauserv

    net stop appidsvc

    net stop cryptsvc

    Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*"

    rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q

    rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q

    regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll

    regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll

    regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll

    netsh winsock reset

    netsh winsock reset proxy

    net start bits

    net start wuauserv

    net start appidsvc

    net start cryptsvc

    Restart the device and check it again just ignore any error in command line if you encounter.

    If none will work from the above solution I suggest to do an in-place upgrade wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files.

    Note: before doing this make sure to create a restore point: https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/402753...

    1. go to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
    2. Select Download tool, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
    3. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.
    4. On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.
    5. After downloading and installing, it should fix the issue.

    Reference: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

    Note: if you receive error: “This Pc can’t be upgrade, follow the steps below”

    Method 1. Go to C:$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther then delete the file name compatscancache.dat

    Then try again or reboot the PC first then try again.

    You might not see the folder as it is hidden, make sure to show hidden files first.

    Let me know how does it goes and I hope that helps.

    Bernard

    Independent Advisor

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments