Windows Update will not work after Windows 10 2004 (OS Build 19041.450) update

Anonymous
2020-09-22T13:00:25+00:00

After upgrading PCs to the Windows 10 2004 build, Windows Update is giving the following message:  We couldn't connect to the update service.  We'll try again later, or you can check now.  If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet.

 I'm seeing these types of entries in the WindowsUpdate Log:

*FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156831 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156857 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156873 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156901 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Failed to resolve federated serviceId 855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156938 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Failed to execute service registration call {50E333F9-D535-4CDA-801E-F517D254AE95} (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.1.0.1)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4157054 6468  3848  IdleTimer       WU operation (SR.Update;ScanForUpdates ID 41, operation # 203) stopped; does use network; is not at background priority

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4368886 5892  7064  ComApi          * END *   Federated Search failed to process service registration, hr=0x80248014 (cV = BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.1.0)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4400323 5892  6244  ComApi          * START *   Federated Search ClientId = Update;ScanForUpdates (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.2.0)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4408406 6468  6492  IdleTimer       WU operation (SR.Update;ScanForUpdates ID 42) started; operation # 208; does use network; is not at background priority

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409456 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409477 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409489 6468  3848  Agent           Processing auto/pending service registrations and recovery.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4505669 6468  3848  SLS             Get response for service 9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77 - forceExpire[False] asyncRefreshOnExpiry[False]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4505711 6468  3848  SLS             path used for cache lookup: /SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4506188 6468  3848  SLS             Retrieving SLS response from server...

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4512418 6468  3848  SLS             Making request with URL HTTPS://slscr.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470 and send SLS events.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.6960634 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:36.6960687 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.9283262 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:36.9283327 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:0

2020/09/21 15:14:37.1717158 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.1717212 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:37.4307260 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.4307329 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:1

2020/09/21 15:14:37.6832104 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.6832156 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:37.9328046 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.9328117 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:2

2020/09/21 15:14:38.1681970 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:38.1682041 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163067 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163144 6468  3848  SLS             Complete the request URL HTTPS://slscr.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470 with [80072F8F] and http status code[0] and send SLS events.

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163191 6468  3848  SLS             *FAILED* [80072F8F] GetDownloadedOnWeakSSLCert

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164068 6468  3848  SLS             *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSClient::GetResponse:625]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164115 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSEndpointProvider::GetWUClientData:2275]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164129 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] EP: get client data

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164147 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSEndpointProvider::GetSecondaryServicesEnabledState:1689]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164174 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::DetectAndToggleServiceState:2910]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164214 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Failed to resolve federated serviceId 855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164259 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Failed to execute service registration call {519E9AED-2AC2-4CC5-87C8-6F1E2B991ED5} (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.2.0.1)

Here are some of the troubleshooting steps I’ve done so far that haven’t worked:

  • Sfc /scannow
  • Dism /online /cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • Ran a Windows script to reset/clear Windows update.  Basically stops all the services, renames the WindowsUpdate folders (catroot2 & SoftwareDistribution) and then restarts the services

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

  • Ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter
  • Tried LAN and Wifi connections
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-18T17:05:34+00:00

    That's what's really strange here. KB4570721 decided to install automatically even though it was a preview update. That is why I believe the issues all stem from that specific update and/or the order of other updates related to that one. So far every computer that completed the install of that update immediately stopped updating afterwards. We're stuck in the same boat of Microsoft Office thinking it has no license as well on these computers. I believe something has been incorrectly set in the registry which is why it doesn't get overwritten during an in-place reinstall. I really wish I could get a detailed breakdown of what KB4570721 changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-15T13:21:38+00:00

    I thought I was going insane... we've had more and more of our computers unable to access windows update. This all started around Sept 4 and has been gradually "consuming" our computers. Nearly a dozen have this exact problem. At first I thought it was issues related to our DNS, firewalls, time server, corrupted certs, etc, etc... but NOPE. This is definitely looking like an update that's breaking, ironically, windows update. I have tried just about every solution I can find. And there's NO way we're reimaging tons of computers just because the update service failed. Microsoft needs to get on this and figure out what the heck is breaking. My next course of action is to start uninstalling update after update in hopes that maybe it will revert what broke. Oddly enough we have computers that are fully up-to-date with no issues. So it's possible that one update existed during a period of time that if you grabbed it, it broke the updater.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-13T13:40:46+00:00

    I'm glad I'm not the only one going crazy here with the September updates...

    I don't know what exactly is going on, but I too have searched high and low for answers to the problem presented here. The Windows log you've posted looks identical to what I've been seeing for a few of our machines around the office. It's weird that not all the machines are affect and only a select few. I've tried everything listed in this post prior to finding it. I'm sure glad I stumbled upon this though. At least I have something to follow now.

    When the issues started here, it appeared that the affected update was an Intel Display adapter update titled "Intel Corporation - Display - 27.20.100.7990" in windows updates. This seems to be the only common thread I've found while observing updates closely and noting if there was any errors. It seemed that sometimes this particular driver would error out with the  80072F8F error code. Upon clicking retry, I'd get the "cannot connect to update service" message.

    I recently saw another machine fail, but this one was a bit interesting. When the 3rd party driver update failed, the cumulative update continued to download and install in the background. I was able to confirm the update installed as it was listed in the update history. Windows updates ceased to function correctly as soo as you click retry. 

    Just as what alk2ms stated, if an office program was installed, it would suddenly not be able to verify the license. It's like what ever is happening completely severed connection to windows update and verification services.

    The ONLY solution I've had success with (on one PC) was using the built in reset in Windows. I too have tried an in place upgrade, which you would think would have the exact same result as a reset but it didn't work.

    I suppose my caveat in testing has a small flaw. I didn't think to try an in place upgrade on the PC that is now functional before doing a reset. So I don't know for certain that the upgrade is flawed. But I have tried the upgrade on another machine. Have not tried doing a reset on it yet to see if the results are positive. It's just a pain to attempt to do all of this with a lot of our affected machines being remote and staff mostly computer illiterate.

    Would like to hear if someone else has had success in troubleshooting this issue, but it seems like a Microsoft bug with 3rd party updates to me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-24T23:28:57+00:00

    If you are using group policy, you should set TLS there: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Advanced Page > Turn off encryption support. Standard security practice is to set to Enabled and define only SSL 2.0, TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2. This sets the value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings for DWORD of SecureProtocols equal to 2568 (decimal).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T15:53:53+00:00

    Unfortunately none of these suggestions worked.  I did the Windows update powershell reset and the in-place upgrade.  We are considering opening up a ticket with Microsoft Support but to be honest, I do not think we should be charged for this since it's their 2004 update that caused the issue.  This is really going to hurt us if we have to re-image all these PCs and go back to an older version of Windows because we expended so much effort to get them up to the latest version and configured individually for the end user.  These feature updates are absolutely dangerous and I feel that Microsoft needs to test them more before they release them to the public.  

    And Bernard, thank you sincerely for the assistance.  We really do appreciate it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments