Cannot get bootable usb windows 10 2004 to work

Anonymous
2020-09-13T20:35:32+00:00

Have rest the computer yet again for the umpteenth time

Have had one advisor on here saying my pc might not be compatable but it is only 1 year old

Lenovo Ideacentre 310s-08asr amd a9-9245 radeon r5 compute cores 2c+3G

8Gb Memory

875Gb free on hard drive

Razer Chroma keyboard

Windows Defender used no 3rd party

Have installed windows 10 to a bootable usb device 16gb

bios set so that usb is primary boot device over hard drive

Reset computer

screen momentarily shows windows logo then there is a flicker and the normal lenovo boot screen is displayed

then computer tried the usb again and the same flicker and back to the lenovo screen again 

computer keeps this loop going until the usb is removed and computer then boot normally.

Previously tried windows update to no avail constantly getting error 0xc1900101 but using windows media creation tool I get 

error 0xc1900101-0x20017

Have run lenovo vantage and it reports system up to date

Have run lenovo system update and it updated the AMD onboard graphics driver, that reported no other updates are required.

Ran the AMD drivers and supported and that updated drivers and AMD software

System has Office, Canon drivers and software for TS8351 installed, Google Earth, Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird and IMVU installed. These proved not to be a problem as my 5 year old HP computer updated to 2004 without any problems.

Tried again and error 0xc1900101 occurred yet again.

The computer has been taken back to 1903 its original format and even with nothing added resulted in error 0xc1900101 and 0xc1900101-20017 using media creation tool.

Update troubleshooter this time reports an issue has been detected. When you look at the details it says "check for windows update issues"

Then says "resolve windows update issues - completed

Then WaaSMedicService

Issues remediated by: EnableUUPScanPlugin.

Then detection details

IsPostback_RCUpdates : IsPostback: False

WaaSMedicService: Issue found by: EnableUUPScanPlugin

IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates: IsPostback: True

Service Status

Problem with BITS service: The requested service has been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-09-17T20:55:56+00:00

    You'll need to boot from recovery disk or installation media to use system image.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-17T20:51:24+00:00

    That be the system image and use that together with system restore that can be accessed via F11 on restart?

    Out of curiosity, if the USB was formatted to NTFS would it make a difference?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-09-17T20:42:35+00:00

    I recommend to create full backup (it has windows 7 in name).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-17T20:16:08+00:00

    For a laugh I tried windows update and low an behold I got the expected fail to install and error 0xc1900101. Update troubleshooter still gave the same old report. Lenvovo System update still says no new packaged available. Lenovo Vantage says your system is up to date. There is no option to load BIOS updates. Lenovo support site is worse than useless having tried it.

    The computer configures the update then tried to restart, which is when the update ultimately fails and tries to load windows and reboot several times for 8-10 minutes before your a put back to the lock screen.

    If I do a clean install and it fails, how would I get the computer back to normal as I still have the recovery drive and intend to make a system image backup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-17T19:27:03+00:00

    Hi,

    At one time, not all of the builds created a new Recovery Partition after an upgrade.. It was kind of hit or miss.. Recently, they all create one.. I have many backup images for various reasons that are for a specific partition size... Without a Recovery in between the OS and a Data partition.. The creation of the Recovery steals 500mb or so out of my OS partition and messes things up when I need a backup image.. I could squeeze it to fit, but it is a much longer process..

    I have little use for the Shift+Restart or any of the other features based upon the Recovery partition..

    If the need arises for something like that, I am either reloading an image or booting with installation media and using Repair features, command prompt, and etc. from there..

    I might leave one there the next time I do a new build and see if it makes it larger, or whatever..

    It seems to me that another thread we were involved with had similar boot issues, but with a Gateway..

    They had to set their Bios to Legacy to boot from installation media.. The poster may have better luck setting his UEFI\Legacy to CSM Enabled\Auto..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments