Cannot get bootable usb windows 10 2004 to work

Anonymous
2020-09-13T20:35:32+00:00

Have rest the computer yet again for the umpteenth time

Have had one advisor on here saying my pc might not be compatable but it is only 1 year old

Lenovo Ideacentre 310s-08asr amd a9-9245 radeon r5 compute cores 2c+3G

8Gb Memory

875Gb free on hard drive

Razer Chroma keyboard

Windows Defender used no 3rd party

Have installed windows 10 to a bootable usb device 16gb

bios set so that usb is primary boot device over hard drive

Reset computer

screen momentarily shows windows logo then there is a flicker and the normal lenovo boot screen is displayed

then computer tried the usb again and the same flicker and back to the lenovo screen again 

computer keeps this loop going until the usb is removed and computer then boot normally.

Previously tried windows update to no avail constantly getting error 0xc1900101 but using windows media creation tool I get 

error 0xc1900101-0x20017

Have run lenovo vantage and it reports system up to date

Have run lenovo system update and it updated the AMD onboard graphics driver, that reported no other updates are required.

Ran the AMD drivers and supported and that updated drivers and AMD software

System has Office, Canon drivers and software for TS8351 installed, Google Earth, Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird and IMVU installed. These proved not to be a problem as my 5 year old HP computer updated to 2004 without any problems.

Tried again and error 0xc1900101 occurred yet again.

The computer has been taken back to 1903 its original format and even with nothing added resulted in error 0xc1900101 and 0xc1900101-20017 using media creation tool.

Update troubleshooter this time reports an issue has been detected. When you look at the details it says "check for windows update issues"

Then says "resolve windows update issues - completed

Then WaaSMedicService

Issues remediated by: EnableUUPScanPlugin.

Then detection details

IsPostback_RCUpdates : IsPostback: False

WaaSMedicService: Issue found by: EnableUUPScanPlugin

IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates: IsPostback: True

Service Status

Problem with BITS service: The requested service has been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-19T05:50:11+00:00

    Hi,

    I have some info on the MSR partition and how Acronis handles it.. As well as Macrium, but I don't want to further clutter up this thread and confuse the OP..

    If interested, start a new thread and call it something like "What Is MSR" or close so that I can find it..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-18T03:55:14+00:00

    (1) I think the version of the recovery environment (WinRE.wim) is best kept at least as high as the version of Windows that is installed, (though for some uses/functions it possibly wouldn't matter). So, if one won't include the Recovery partition in the image, one should always update one's Win 10 Installation media to at least keep up with it. I do it anyway, but everyone else may not. And the last time I made installation media (for 2004), it took two hours. The download & prep was quick (20 minutes/so), but writing/formulating the media lifted the process to two hours.

    (2) 3rd-party image makers do have advantages, but there is a learning curve, if one wants to stray from a simple image that includes all the partitions. I do make one of those with DiscWizard (an older version of Acronis True Image) after every new Windows version (not OS Build) comes in & works well, just in case the Windows version should fail next time. I hope it will be easy to restore if/when the day comes. But I'm unsure DiscWizard handles the mysterious MSR (Microsoft Reserved) partition, which the Windows version did so well. But I'm also unsure that partition is really needed.

    Anyway, I think all the partitions (EFI, MSR, Windows, Recovery) really belong together as a package. I wouldn't normally want to restore one without the others. But I'm sure you know what you're doing, I mean that.

    (3) You may be right about creating a Repair Disc (DVD). I used to create them, but the Recovery USB is better. And, IIRC, the last few times I tried to make the DVD, they got ruined. But I thought it was just me. Maybe I'll work that tidbit into my post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-18T02:19:51+00:00

    Hi,

    You do not need to use 3rd party imaging if the Recovery Partition is deleted.. Creating Windows image still works... Creating a Repair CD does not.. I use installation media instead..

    I do primarily use 3rd party imaging though.. It is more versatile as far as which partitions are restored and does not complain about the size of a new HDD\SSD.. If the image will physically fit, it will be restored.. Windows imaging will not do this..

    I have had to crash the boot three times before for various reasons, but not anymore... I would be willing to bet that I was the first to post that solution many years ago.. Possibly for Windows 8..

    I am glad you are helping with the imaging for the OP... I use it at times and have discovered some of it's idiosyncrasies, but you have far more experience with it than I..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-18T01:10:51+00:00

    (1) I've come to believe a feature update (new Windows version) creates a new Recovery partition only if the existing one is too small. Then, it empties the existing one of its WinRE.wim, but otherwise lets the partition alone & creates a new one. But, if the existing one was large enough, the feature update would reuse it & put the new WinRE.wim into it. I've looked & seen the new size & date.

    (2) Well, you can finesse it & do things your expert way with 3rd-party image makers. More power to you. But I always include the Recovery partition in my images. It's good to keep the version of the Recovery partition (its WinRE.wim) at least the same as the Windows partition. So, that time I had to restore an image, it restored all the partitions back to exactly where they came from. No fuss, squeezing or bother for me.

    (3) Without a Recovery partition, not only will Shift+Restart not work, but also that trick of crashing the boot 3 times in a row won't work. Still, that won't trouble you or me, but others will have to scramble to make an Installation USB drive.

    (4) I don't like the idea of setting the BIOS to Legacy in a system that has a UEFI install. I do believe, to do a UEFI install, the media must be booted in UEFI mode. I would prefer to boot it UEFI even when not for the purpose of a clean install, but don't really know its necessary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-18T00:20:37+00:00

    System Restore is for restore points. Those are cleared by a clean install, even just an upgrade-install will clear them. As Igor Leyko said, make a Windows system image backup. Then, you'll see how to restore it in the links below.

    It makes a backup of all the Windows partitions required to boot & run Windows:  EFI, MSR, Windows (C:), & Recovery. If you've got additional partition(s), they will also be offered for inclusion. A 2 TB external HDD is large enough to never fill with images. An 8 GB flash drive should be large enough to hold a Recovery drive (used to restore an image).

    I make one after each new OS Build comes in & runs well, & I keep the last three...

    I rename the computername folder which is inside the WindowsImageBackup folder (by adding the OS Build to it) in order to keep them separate & distinct. All three will be offered during the restore process.

    Make it at "START, Settings, Update & Security, Backup, Go to backup & Restore (Win 7), Create a system image". Afterward, make the Repair Disc or (even better) ask Cortana for Recovery Drive to put it on USB. That can be used to do a restore. Then see the following to know how to restore one...

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-restore-a-windows-10-system-image-to-an/e20992ca-5641-4f7c-bb09-3895d0732162

    How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device

    https://www.winhelp.us/restore-a-system-image-in-windows-7.html

    Restore a System Image Backup in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10

    Note: That is an informative 3rd-party site, but I know nothing (good or bad) about any downloads or links that are there (or anywhere else).

    If your external hard drive (or the internal one I guess) is a Seagate or Maxtor, there will be a free version of Acronis True Image at their site. Seagate calls it DiscWizard. Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper & others also offer free versions of their image makers. These 3rd-party apps are quicker, make more compact images, & are more flexible in use. But the Windows version works in under 15 minutes on my small & uncomplicated system. I must add, DiscWizard's Bootable Media (to restore an image when Windows won't boot) requires a Mouse to operate. Plug one in, & it is instantly recognized.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments