Windows 10 limiting my internet speed?

Anonymous
2020-09-28T22:02:37+00:00

I have a PC running windows 10, all of the latest updates have been installed and drivers are up to date and it is connected to a ethernet cable for internet. I have a gigabit ethernet service. When I run an internet speed test I get somewhere between 14 -40 Megabits/sec download and 15-30 Megabits/sec upload (on a good day). When I connect my laptop to the same ethernet cable my download speed is between 650 and 750 Megabits/sec and my upload is closer to 50 Megabits/sec. I have tried many suggestions online such as turning off automatic updates, and removing the reserve bandwidth for updates. changing the network adaptor settings to force gigabit speed rather than auto assign. I have even tried installing a new gigabit network card to see if it was a motherboard issue and no luck. I cant seem to find anything online to help me resolve this issue. Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-04T10:45:03+00:00

Hello,

I had same issue. It was solved for me via following command in cmd. Previous value was disabled.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-03T09:54:59+00:00

    I think it’s not because of windows 10 that you are getting slow speed. Maybe the reason behind all of your problems is the slow speed of your internet or because of your wifi router. Maybe you are not getting the same speed as the internet as your internet service provider has promised you. You can visit this website allspeedtest to perform the internet speed test. It will definitely help you to know what speed of the internet you are getting. You can easily find out the actual problem this way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-19T21:30:28+00:00

    Experiencing the same exact problem. I've tried all the suggestions and then sum.

    Signed up for 1Gb internet with my ISP. I have a number of different computers with different OSes. Every OS is getting from 600-700Mbps down. Brand new windows 10 is getting 17-18Mbps.

    I have:

    Chrome OS

    MAC (MAC is running OLD hardware and still getting better speeds)

    Linux

    Windows 10

    Here is everything I've tried on Windows 10:

    Registry settings

    Adapter settings

    Scans

    Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro

    Security firewall settings

    check both hard wire and wireless (the outcome is the same)

    New fast hardware (beefed up plenty of resources available) - less than 4 months old

    Malware/Virus scans

    Disable every single app other than my browser

    monitor network

    New router

    Keep in mind no other device is affected other than this one windows 10 system so it's not the ISP. The only thing I haven't tried (which I will) is to swap out the SSD and install linux or another OS on this hardware and test. My guess is that it will be better.

    Please let me know if you find a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-28T04:44:24+00:00

    Any ideas I am having this same problem.

    My upload speed is limited to 30mbits but when I connect with my Mac laptop I am getting 5-600mbits upload. Same with other computers I have tested, it is only the WIndows 10 desktop that is having this issue. I have tried everything I can find online and no go, I am about to just reinstall windows but I would really prefer not to do that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-16T23:17:10+00:00

    Same problem. Tried almost all the suggestions here, definitely all of them down through the virus scans.

    My plan is for 100mbs, which I get on my phone. But only 40-45 on my 2015 Toshiba laptop.

    Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciate.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments