Windows 10 limiting my internet speed?

Anonymous
2020-09-28T22:02:37+00:00

I have a PC running windows 10, all of the latest updates have been installed and drivers are up to date and it is connected to a ethernet cable for internet. I have a gigabit ethernet service. When I run an internet speed test I get somewhere between 14 -40 Megabits/sec download and 15-30 Megabits/sec upload (on a good day). When I connect my laptop to the same ethernet cable my download speed is between 650 and 750 Megabits/sec and my upload is closer to 50 Megabits/sec. I have tried many suggestions online such as turning off automatic updates, and removing the reserve bandwidth for updates. changing the network adaptor settings to force gigabit speed rather than auto assign. I have even tried installing a new gigabit network card to see if it was a motherboard issue and no luck. I cant seem to find anything online to help me resolve this issue. Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-04T10:45:03+00:00

Hello,

I had same issue. It was solved for me via following command in cmd. Previous value was disabled.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-29T04:48:03+00:00

    Hmm it's weird. Check anyway if you have malicious files with these 2 programs.

    AdwCleaner to clean browser: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

    Malwarebytes to clean pc: https://malwarebytes.com/

    Also, if you have a third-party antivirus, uninstall it and try again.

    Try these command too

    Step to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

    Note: Respect the spaces or simply copy / paste the commands.


    Click on windows start button, type CMD

    - Right click on " prompt command " and " run as admin "


    Now type this commands

    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

    - Press Enter.


    Then, this command and Enter.

    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth


    Then make the following commands.

    sfc /scannow

    _________________________________________________

    Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-29T17:03:17+00:00

    Hi,

    I did the Malware and Adware scans with the tools you suggested and they found nothing.

    I don't use any third party antivirus software.

    I ran the commands you suggested and it said it did some repairs, but after the repairs there was no change to the download speed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-30T03:12:22+00:00

    Sorry I don't have any more ideas for the moment, maybe another one will have better ideas :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-24T11:59:06+00:00

    No. My window 10 is running well. I have good internet speed. Maybe your ISP have slow speed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments