Windows 10 limiting my internet speed?

Anonymous
2020-09-28T22:02:37+00:00

I have a PC running windows 10, all of the latest updates have been installed and drivers are up to date and it is connected to a ethernet cable for internet. I have a gigabit ethernet service. When I run an internet speed test I get somewhere between 14 -40 Megabits/sec download and 15-30 Megabits/sec upload (on a good day). When I connect my laptop to the same ethernet cable my download speed is between 650 and 750 Megabits/sec and my upload is closer to 50 Megabits/sec. I have tried many suggestions online such as turning off automatic updates, and removing the reserve bandwidth for updates. changing the network adaptor settings to force gigabit speed rather than auto assign. I have even tried installing a new gigabit network card to see if it was a motherboard issue and no luck. I cant seem to find anything online to help me resolve this issue. Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-04T10:45:03+00:00

Hello,

I had same issue. It was solved for me via following command in cmd. Previous value was disabled.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-13T03:39:47+00:00

    I have the same issue but couldnt find a solution yet. 

    I used Ubuntu usb stick to boot with Linux. The internet speed is as expected. So, the problem is not related to hardware. On Windows 10, something limits the speed but what is that? Last thing I will try is either upgrade or downgrade Win-10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-13T14:18:19+00:00

    I love you. I've wasted 3 and half work days trying to sort this out. I've even bought a new network card thinking that was the problem. You've saved me a lot of time and 45 euros, as I can now return the new network card I don't really need.

    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal  for the win in my case

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-28T13:08:18+00:00

    Update. Seems crazy, but I totally disconnected all plugged-in USB devices, my HDMI connection, audio out to external speakers, disconnected the Ethernet connection again, turned on my wifi and BAM! 480+Mbps speeds! I reconnected everything, tested again and still had full speed down/uploads!! I rebooted, still have full speeds again....go figure.

    After 35 years of computers, I still scratch my head at times...... 

    Wow... I did this as well, turns out my TP-Link Bluetooth adapter was the problem (for some reason?) It limited my connection to 12mbps

    10mb to 75mb instant

    Thank you!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-30T23:35:58+00:00

    Thank you! My son and I were pulling our hair out trying to figure out why his machine was so slow. For whatever reason this setting was disabled. Setting it to normal turned his download speed up to 800Mbps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments