Windows 10 limiting my internet speed?

Anonymous
2020-09-28T22:02:37+00:00

I have a PC running windows 10, all of the latest updates have been installed and drivers are up to date and it is connected to a ethernet cable for internet. I have a gigabit ethernet service. When I run an internet speed test I get somewhere between 14 -40 Megabits/sec download and 15-30 Megabits/sec upload (on a good day). When I connect my laptop to the same ethernet cable my download speed is between 650 and 750 Megabits/sec and my upload is closer to 50 Megabits/sec. I have tried many suggestions online such as turning off automatic updates, and removing the reserve bandwidth for updates. changing the network adaptor settings to force gigabit speed rather than auto assign. I have even tried installing a new gigabit network card to see if it was a motherboard issue and no luck. I cant seem to find anything online to help me resolve this issue. Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-04T10:45:03+00:00

Hello,

I had same issue. It was solved for me via following command in cmd. Previous value was disabled.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-10T05:05:58+00:00

    Sorry, I mixed your problem with a similar one ...

    1 ) Try this, right-click on Windows start menu and go Settings.
    Open Network & Internet
    Select Proxy in the left pane. In the right pane, disable all options.

    2 ) Disable Windows Auto-Tuning Feature
    Open windows start menu and type: cmd
    Right-click on " command prompt " and select Run as admin
    Type this following command: netsh interface tcp show global
    Look for the "Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level feature" , if it If it is displayed as 'normal' please deactivate it as follows:
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

    Now check if the speed is ok.

    3 ) Disable Large Send Offload
    Right-click again on Start button and select " Device manager "
    Double-click on your Network Card and click on the Advanced tab
    In the drop-down list, select Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4) and set the value to Disabled
    Do the same for Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6)
    Click OK.

    1. Check your dns settings.

    Press Windows + r keys and type: NCPA.CPL
    Right-click on your network card and select Properties
    Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and go to Properties.
    Checks if the 'obtain an ip .... and Obtain DNS server ....' box is checked on automatic. This must other on auto.

    You can do a test with the google dns if you check Use the following DNS
    Google's Public DNS addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

    Disable Large Send Offload

    This worked for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-07T22:02:24+00:00

    Test your internet speed with testmyspeed.tel's  internet speed test tool and get tips on how to improve your internet performance

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-24T10:25:18+00:00

    **** THANK YO SO MUCH MAN I WANNA CRY BECAUSE OF YOU **** MICROSOFT WINDOWS UPDATES FULL OF BUGS MADE ME 5x REINSTALL AND STILL NOT FIXED I HAVE TO COMPLETE REMOVE ALL THE DATA AND **** DO NOT WORK NOW WITH YOUR COMMENT **** **** **** IM SO HAPPY MAN GOD BLESS YOU fihoshdfiosdfhoidhfoidsfhohfdsiosdhfosdhifohi

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-24T10:23:27+00:00

    BRO MAN **** YOU REALLY MADE MY DAY GOD BLESS YOU MY WI FI FROM 35 Mbps to 943 MBPS **** MAN I LOVE YOU SO MUCH I REINSTALL MY WINDOWS LIKE 5 TIMES I HOPE YOU SEE THIS I LOVE YOU BRO NO HOMO THANK YOU MAN THESE ALL **** COMMENTS AND I WAS SAVED BY YOU THANK YOU CHRIS THANK YOU SO MUCH I HOPE YOUR FAMILY IS IN GOOD CONDITION AND STAY SAFE OUT THERE **** I CAN DOWNLOAD GAMES IN 70 Mb/s NOW **** FROM 11 mb/s to 70 mb/s YOUR A LIFE SAVER CHRIS LOVE YOU SO MUCH

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments